Leaf spot?

elkhardt(6)June 4, 2007

It has been very damp this spring and it looks as if I have Leaf Spot. I understand that corn meal is good for fungus, but I cant seem to find any in bulk around Wichita, KS. Will cracked corn work for fungus problems?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
billhill(z5 MI - KBG)

No one has responded so IÂll give it a try, I use cracked corn because it is readily available and is cheap. It seems to work good for me. Some say that corn meal is better, and it might be, but really, itÂs the same stuff only milled finer. Corn meal will disappear faster and may be digested faster than cracked. Also cracked corn will attract lots of birds and squirrels, which of course will eat some of it. Cracked corn will have quite a few whole or partial kernels, which may germinate and provide you with some little corn stalks growing up in your lawn. I havenÂt seen that affect this year however, maybe because the pre-m is effective in stopping it. So to answer you question, Yes, it should work for you. I would suggest application rate of about 15 lbs per 1000 sq ft, twice, about 6 weeks apart. Next year, use it earlier as a preventer instead of waiting until your lawn is infected with leaf spot or other fungi. This seems odd to say, but, "good luck with your fungus"

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 11:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elkhardt(6)

Thanks for the reply. This is my first year for the organic approach. I will pick some up on my way to work this evening.

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Thatch Problem // Missing Opportunity to Aerate
I live in zone 5b and have approximately 1" of...
claga
Thatch Problem?
I'll be having the lawn aerated next week and I was...
nickrosesn
Application rates of organic fertilizer
This year I have mainly been fertilizing with Agway...
pushmower38
DC Please Post Your Organic Lawn FAQs
I am considering going to organic fertilizers, DC could...
claga
Increasing height of celebration bermuda
Our lawn was sodded with bermuda celebration a bit...
trussin.22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™