Fall grass seeding

jmakoNovember 17, 2009

Hi all, I've seen a few postings regarding fall grass seeding, but my question was a little more specific. I'm curious is my window of opportunity has already closed for this season. Normally I would say yes, given its Nov 16th, however it's also been unseasonably warmer than past Novembers. Any advice? Thx, John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jmako

Oops... I'm in Stow, Ma :o)

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 7:32PM
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

Paul Tukey, in his latest newsletter from safelawns.org, says:

"CAN I STILL APPLY GRASS SEED? A few folks are still asking that question as we approach December. If you live north of Washington, D.C., in the East or San Francisco in the West, IÂd tell you to wait Âtil next year. Seed applied now or later this fall and winter probably wonÂt germinate in time and, even if it does, it wonÂt have enough time to establish its roots before winter. In the meantime, though, if you have bare spots itÂs not a bad idea to hit these with a compost mulch. That will help prevent winter soil erosion and any early-season germination of weed seeds."

Are you talking about a major seeding project or just some bare spots? If it's a small area, it's not going to hurt anything except your wallet, so you could always try some seed. I'd worry about larger areas being exposed to weather and eroding unless you plan to cover the seeds well with hay or some other mulch.

Claire

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 8:48PM

The upside of trying to seed now is that if the seeds don't germinate because the soil is too cold, and if the birds don't eat them, then the seeds will probably germinate early in the spring and get a head start on growth.

Claire

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 8:54PM
jmako

Thank you!

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 9:12PM
More Discussions
Philadelphia Flower Show, 2015
Good news! The Philadelphia Flower Show is NOT dead....
hunt4carl
Hummingbird Spring Migration 2015
I've been checking regularly and finally today there...
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #4
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™