Should I use Corn Meal?

valtorrez(6b)June 19, 2010

Several weeks ago I used milk and baking soda on grass to get rid of mildew. I'm not sure but now I have tan grass in these spots and in a little more areas. It has been HOT and raining like crazy here and I was wanting to put Milgranite down for my summer fertilizer. Can I still use the corn meal just in case this is a fungus on grass or would that be too much fertilizer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

Baking soda is fungicide meaning it kills good and bad fungi in the soil. No idea how long it takes for baking soda to go away but you will have to apply compost to re-introduce beneficial fungi to the soil. I wouldn't use baking soda again. Go with corn meal instead. Maybe Actinovate or Rootshield. Organic fertilizer won't burn your lawn. Go for it.

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 5:41PM
gardenbug(8b)

I don't mean to hyjack your thread, but I'm wondering if this is the same cornmeal used to make cornbread that you buy at the grocery store?

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 9:32PM
bpgreen(5UT)

"I'm wondering if this is the same cornmeal used to make cornbread that you buy at the grocery store?"

Yes, but you'll want to buy it in bulk if you plan to use it on your lawn or it will get expensive in a hurry.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 2:21PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Feed grade corn meal is similar to food grade. The difference is in how the corn was stored before it was ground.

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 12:54AM
More Discussions
Why not use herbicide to control Ground Ivy?
I have always practiced organic lawn care. I mow high...
tomp123
So how out of touch are we????
Years ago, during one of those PBS marathon fundraisers,...
bossyvossy
Liquid soil conditioners
Two particular companies have websites that sell liquid...
stan6
Timothy vs Alfalfa
I mistakenly applied Timothy pellets to my lawn instead...
rachel67
PLEASE HELP - identify this weed
Hello all, I live in North Texas and just started organic...
steelerdan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™