How to apply compost tea to lawn?

trh701(z4sd)June 10, 2009

I have brewed up some compost tea to apply to my lawn. However, I don't want to dilute it - just want to apply straight. What do you recommend to put it in to spray on the lawn? I have an Ortho dial sprayer to attach to my hose but the highest dosage I could do would be 8 oz. per gallon. My yard is too large to use just a pump sprayer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott Haslip

Its my understanding that if you use a hose sprayer, you need to assure that you either have well water, or that your city water is chlorine free, or it will kill a large percentage of the good bacteria you just created.

Secondly, there is no shelf life for compost tea. Once you are finished brewing it, you have about a 2-4 hour window to get it applied.

Other than that, your ortho sprayer should work just fine, and remember, it does not matter how much water you use to get it down. If you use 10 gallons, or 500 to completely put down all your tea on your yard, you have accomplished putting the bacteria into place. Runoff would be bad of course.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 11:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
uncle_al_tkp(6)

I'm getting one of these hose end filters to be able to use my Ortho sprayer as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gard N Grow filter.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 5:38AM
More Discussions
So how out of touch are we????
Years ago, during one of those PBS marathon fundraisers,...
bossyvossy
Thatch Problem // Missing Opportunity to Aerate
I live in zone 5b and have approximately 1" of...
claga
DC Please Post Your Organic Lawn FAQs
I am considering going to organic fertilizers, DC could...
claga
Questions about overseeding
Hi all, soon I will be overseeding my Tall Fescue with...
oberci
Why not use herbicide to control Ground Ivy?
I have always practiced organic lawn care. I mow high...
tomp123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™