Big Honkin' Buds on my rhody

deanna_in_nh(5a/4b)November 8, 2011

My gut tells me this is not good, right?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Hi,
Not sure why you think there's a problem. I see lots of buds for next season's vegetative growth, which is good. I don't think there are any flower buds, because those are generally much rounder and fatter than what I see in your photo, although certain varieties and species do have somewhat smaller buds even for flowers. By any chance did you cut this one back later in the season? That could deter flower bud formation. If you need to trim back rhodies, as well as azaleas, for any reason, this should be done as soon as the flowers have faded, thereby giving the plants the entire growing season to form the following springs flower buds. Many people make the mistake of trimming these during midsummer or later, and essentially they are throwing next springs flowers into the waste pile. Same goes for most early blooming shrubs, such as forsythia, lilacs and many others.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 11:19PM
terrene(5b MA)

Your rhodie look fine to me. As Bill said, it has lots of buds for vegetative growth. I've noticed that these shrubs will make buds for next years leaves and flowers by late summer. Mine are loaded with flower buds this fall and I expect it will be an excellent display next Spring, as long as they don't suffer too much winter damage.

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 1:17PM
ginny12

This looks like a very healthy shrub with lots of leaf buds rather than flower buds. There are several reasons why there are no flower buds--young plant, weather, etc. I wouldn't worry.

Maybe next year give it fertilizer in the spring when you see other rhododendrons blooming. They set the next year's buds not too long after blooming. And always mulch rhododendrons and water if it is a very dry season.

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 5:24PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I'm wondering if Deanna is worried because the buds are starting to swell with our unseasonable warm weather. I wouldn't worry, however, since if these get damaged, the plant will make new leaf buds next spring, and in my experience, even if the outside of the buds look damaged, the leaves will still form normally.

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 6:55AM
deanna_in_nh(5a/4b)

Thank you! I feel much better now. I thought for sure I was getting flower buds from the warm weather. I did cut it back, but I cut it before the brown flowers had fallen off, so I know I didn't do any damage to next year's buds.

Thank you!

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
Open Gardens for 2015
I got a brochure in the mail from the Garden Conservancy...
NHBabs
when do your daffodils bloom?
When do your daffodils bloom? I can't wait for them...
daffodil33
Conservation District Sales and State Nurseries
You all know what time of year it is. It's the time...
edlincoln
Annie_NH Annual Plant Swap June 7, 2015
Hello, this is Annie's daughter Becky. We will be having...
annie_nh
Hummingbird Spring Migration 2015
I've been checking regularly and finally today there...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™