Help Understanding Fertilizer Ingredients

kippykJune 1, 2010

I have used Woodstream's "Ringer Lawn Restore" in the past, and have been pleased with the results. Agway sells a product named "Agway Nature's Way Organic Lawn Food," which is substantially cheaper. Can anyone here enlighten me as to how the different ingredients work in terms of feeding the biology in the soil? Is the Agway product truly organic?

Here is the information from Agway Nature's Way Organic Lawn Food:"

Nitrogen 8% (3.2 Water Soluble, 4.8% Water Insoluble)

Available Phosphate 2%

Soluble Potash 4%

Calcium 5%

Plant Nutrients Derived From: Composted Poltry Manure, Methylene Urea, Sulfate of Potash

For comparison, here is the information from Woodstream's "Ringer Lawn Restore:"

Total Nitrogen 10%

1.9% Nitrate Nitrogen

0.5% Other Water Soluble Nitrogen

7.6% Water Insoluble Nitrogen

Available Phosphate (P2O5) 2%

Soluble Potash (K2O) 6%

Derived from: hydrolyzed poultry feather meal, nitrate of soda, potassium sulfate, bone meal and soybean meal.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Methylene Urea is a synthetic product and would therefore not be acceptable to most of us organic gardeners/farmers.
Sulfate of Potash and potassium sulfate are produced by reacting the potash with sulfuric acid to make it more readily available, again not accetebale to organic gardeners/farmers.
There is no real definition in place to regulate the use of "organic" on any product so any marketer can use that term on any product they sell. The Food and Drug Administration has been getting after some producers of products that have been labeled "organic" and were not, but not enough and not hard enough.

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 8:26AM
More Discussions
creeping charlie chump
OK, once and for all, is there an organic solution...
yardmartyr
Thatch Problem?
I'll be having the lawn aerated next week and I was...
nickrosesn
Liquid soil conditioners
Two particular companies have websites that sell liquid...
stan6
PLEASE HELP - identify this weed
Hello all, I live in North Texas and just started organic...
steelerdan
DC Please Post Your Organic Lawn FAQs
I am considering going to organic fertilizers, DC could...
claga
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™