Soy bean meal vs Alfalfa pellets

lawnboy6501June 5, 2010

When I went to the feed store to pick up a bag of Soy bean meal yesterday, the cost had soared from eighteen dollars for a fifty pound bag to thirty dollars. A fifty pound bag of Alfalfa pellets is thirteen dollars. Is Soy Bean Meal worth the difference in price or should I switch products each application? Please advise.

I have found that the large empty paint buckets that are available for five dollars at Home Depot is a great way to store unused lawn products.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bgtimber75

I would use the Alfalfa Pellets. But I'm cheap and there is nothing wrong with variety. I've been using mainly cracked corn this year because it's slightly cheaper then the Alfalfa and the SBM. I've also been using used coffee ground because those of course are free.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 12:22AM
jayt63

Since soybean meal is so expensive, I would suggest an alternative. Safe and Simple lawn food is composed of soybean meal, alfalfa meal and fish meal and sells for $23.99 per 50 lb bag. There is a dealer look up on the site.

Here is a link that might be useful: useful link

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 10:01AM
fmullegun

You get a little more than twice as much N with SBM. If the price was the same per N i would opt for Alfalfa because you get more "stuff" and it is easier to spread.

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 2:12PM
More Discussions
beneficial nematodes for grubs and cool weather
andyx123
Timothy vs Alfalfa
I mistakenly applied Timothy pellets to my lawn instead...
rachel67
Where do you buy your Tall Fescue seed?
I'm in Sacramento and looking to overseed our tall...
oberci
creeping charlie chump
OK, once and for all, is there an organic solution...
yardmartyr
DC Please Post Your Organic Lawn FAQs
I am considering going to organic fertilizers, DC could...
claga
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™