Fungus - overwatering??

green_jenJune 13, 2007

I recently seeded a patch of grass in my front lawn from scratch. I buried a light layer of coffee grounds about an inch under the soil and then used an organic fertilizer mix on top after I seeded. I have been watering pretty often to get it to germinate and last week I sprayed some BioPak on it. The yard as a whole is pretty destitute but this part was now looking really good.

Yesterday I noticed a couple of brown/black patches some of which had a cottony greyish white substance on it. Am I overwatering? Is there anything I need to do to the patches to keep it from spreading along?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morpheuspa

Sounds like a fungus. You could try 4 teaspoons of baking sods in a gallon of water, which will kill it. However, test it in an unobvious spot first to make sure your new grass is going to deal with it.

It sounds like the inch-deep grounds are the source of the issue--continuously damp, rotting away like mad, and hosting countless bacteria and fungi. No matter, it's fixable.

If you could shift your watering so the new grass blades don't go wet overnight that would certainly help. The suggestion I saw for a new seed bed is to water three times daily for ten minutes at 10 AM, 2 PM, and 4 PM.

Once the grass sprouts (like yours) you should be able to pull back to once a day. If you could do that in the early morning hours, that would be perfect.

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 7:14AM
More Discussions
Thatch Problem // Missing Opportunity to Aerate
I live in zone 5b and have approximately 1" of...
claga
So how out of touch are we????
Years ago, during one of those PBS marathon fundraisers,...
bossyvossy
Increasing height of celebration bermuda
Our lawn was sodded with bermuda celebration a bit...
trussin.22
beneficial nematodes for grubs and cool weather
andyx123
High % OM & Compaction/Hydrotropic
My front & back lawn have been 100% organic for...
sc77
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™