Web Worms are here!

gldno1March 30, 2012

I bet Japanese beetles can't be far behind.

These were both in two different peach trees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I have them in quince and a couple spots in the crab apple.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 1:37PM
mosswitch

They are thick here in the wild cherries Out Beyond our property, and we've found quite a few in our own woods. They almost defoliated a little black cherry before we found it and got into the top of our weeping cherry. Gone now!

Sandy

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 10:33PM
Nashonii(6 Ozarks)

Yep, I'm just sick. Our new little peaches are at risk of being wiped out by the web worms I found on the end of her branches. What are you using to kill them? Especially when you can't reach the killers?

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 9:44AM
mosswitch

Long stick, just pulling them out of the tree and stomping on the nasty things. I hate them.

Opening up their nest helps the birds get access to them, too. If you do spray, you still have to open up the nest or the spray just runs off it.

Sandy

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 10:14PM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

I'm glad you started this thread, Glenda. In the past, the webs were high up in the non-fruit trees and it seems like it was much later in the summer.

Yesterday I saw a web in my innocent little weeping cherry tree in the front yard and was horrified. Sandy, I picked up a stick and wrapped the web around it. They are the most disgusting things I have ever seen. I didn't have any spray with me and some fell to the ground. Was able to step on some, but not all. They were all in/on the web and I didn't see any damage to the foilage.

Please don't tell me the survivors will crawl up the trunk and make a new web??? If so, will Sevin spray get them as it does the Japanese Beetles?
Sunny

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 3:43PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Sunny the ones in the non fruit trees that appear late in the summer are a different critter. Here is a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: tent caterpillars

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 9:06PM
mosswitch

Most any bug spray kills them, if you don't get them stomped on. The things gross me out.

Sandy

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
Swans
Saw these yesterday in the field behind ours and then...
christie_sw_mo
my thoughts on peppers
I don't eat hot peppers but I have found that the horn...
helenh
Fall Color l0 Days Ago (White now!)
Miscanthus by cellar: One of my very few remaining...
gldno1
Rainfall ?
Hi everyone. What amounts of rainfall have you had...
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
Cold November
Accuweather is predicting a low of 12 for Monday. Brrrr Do...
christie_sw_mo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™