Oxalis in the Lawn

fleemo17(z9 CA)June 8, 2010

I have an ever-growing problem with Oxalis in my lawn. To be specific, I believe it to be Oxalis Corniculata. I practice an organic program with my lawn, mowing it at the highest mower height, and it's doing very well. But the Oxalis is attempting to take over. When I see it, I attempt to pluck it out, but it's difficult to get the entire plant and obviously not terribly effective. What can I do to stem the tide, so to speak, of Oxalis spreading throughout my lawn?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

"Oxalis Corniculata", aka Creeping Woodsorrel, Procumbent Woodsorrel, and even Sleeping Beauty is one of many of the woodsorrels that get planted by the birds that eat the seeds the plants produce. Your best defense with this is just a good, healthy lawn although the seeds that get dropped can germinate quite easily. Spraying with vinegar will also kill the grass and most of the rest of the "weed killers" that would kill off the plants now growing are not acceptable to organic gardeners those will not prevent more plants from growing. Hand pulling can be effective although that to will not prevent more seeds from germinating. These are among the "weeds" we will always see.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 12:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fleemo17(z9 CA)

So my only option is to learn to love Oxalis? Egad. :[

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
Cow Manure
If I took fresh cow manure, made a tea out of it and...
srks72
So how out of touch are we????
Years ago, during one of those PBS marathon fundraisers,...
bossyvossy
Is It to Late in the to Apply Organic Fertilizers in Zone 5b
The condition of my lawn: The lawn is thick, but lacks...
claga
Kimmsr...
Kimmsr, I should mention that I have an acre of lawn...
Aggranduser
Thanks for the Great Looking Lawn! :D
Just wanted to say thanks to this group for the advice...
raymondo17
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™