Jenk's Greenhouse

sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)March 18, 2013

I got the word Saturday that Jenk's near Diamond, Mo has closed the business. Chris has signed on with Joplin Greenhouse, who has bought the business. This info saved me a long trip out there pretty soon.

I'm sure Chris' experience, added to Curtis' will make Joplin GH one of the best in the area. It's something to look forward to. Lisa, at Milsap Produce said she thought Chris would have some propogated tall Mexican petunias this spring. Hope so! I took a few cuttings from late last year and they are fine, but I love them in a big grouping in the sun.

Also, Botany Shop on 7th in Joplin should have their President canna roots in a couple of weeks. Last year they were huge and juicy -- made lovely plants.
Sunny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Joplin Greenhouse people have a place outside of Monet where they have lots of room. It has many more plants than the spot near Food For Less. Will they use the land near Diamond for a garden center?

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 12:21PM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

I don't know, Helen. I think Jenk's just leased the buildings for a few years. It still may be Shank's Farm in the fall for pumpkins.
Sunny

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 8:52AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I finally caught MIlsap's open and had fun there. You will have lots of good temptations close to you. I loved the cute little succulent plugs for $1.50 each. I got some rosemary, fennel and parsley and a six pack of strawberries. Also candy onions and leeks and a bag of Ozark Pride potting mix. I am going to research rice hulls on line; they said you use them in raised bed mixes to make the soil light in place of perlite. I didn't buy any yet. Also he said the Jenk's place in Diamond will about like it always was only with their products. It will open in a couple of weeks.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 2:47PM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Where, or where, can you get rice hulls, Helen? I didn't see them at Milsap. I bought a bag of their potting mix, as well. I'll have to check out the succulents, as my plantings this year will lean towards plants that don't need as much water. The lettuces, radiccio, spinach are still waiting in the big cold frame to be planted out. Wednesday, for sure.
Sunny

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 7:49AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

The rice hulls and pine straw were outside under the roof with the potting mix, cotton hull compost etc. The pine straw was a bit expensive but I liked that they have things I don't see elsewhere. The little succulents are not hardy; they had various shallow pots made up with them like little landscapes. They would easily come inside in winter. I also got some Texas oranges cheap and I don't know if it was the proper price or the boy made a mistake.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 8:51AM
More Discussions
Saw the first signs today......
And SOOO excited.....spotted daffodils and ornithogalums...
mocountryboys
winter gardening
How many peaple garden thruout the winter in the Ozarks?...
strongeagle
Ozarkers locations
I think it is time to start a new thread on where we...
peaceofmind
Swans
Saw these yesterday in the field behind ours and then...
christie_sw_mo
Elderly gardeners
Dup post...didn't show up for me and I reposted...pls...
dbarron
Sponsored Products
Palram Silver Snap and Grow Greenhouse (6 x 8)
Overstock.com
Light My Shed III White 18 1/2" Wide Solar Shed Light
$99.00 | Lamps Plus
Blue Wave Solar Pro Xf
Beyond Stores
Rust Three Light Hammered Globe Chandelier
$220.00 | Bellacor
Sage Countertop Greenhouse
$44.99 | Dot & Bo
French country produce rattan basket
Origin Crafts
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™