you want tomatoes?

sweetwm007(6 b)March 14, 2008

here is a pic of an ole boy's place in gassville. he plants about 1200 a season!

william

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

William...in Yellville..
What does he do with all of those plants? Sell them? I can't imagine anyone growing that many Tomato plants, unless he is a a commercial grower and has a ready source of labor.
I knew a guy that once rented a city lot behind what was once an old livery stable and planted about 100 plants. He went over behind the levee (Miss. River) and cut Willows to stake them. He started out selling the Tomatoes at 50¢ bu., then 25¢ bu., and finally giving them away, to keep them from falling on the ground. They is no telling how many tons of Tomatoes those 100 or so plants produced.
By the end of the season, he also had a thriving Willow grove, as every one of his stakes developed roots and became a Willow tree! :

Bookmark   March 14, 2008 at 4:38PM
sweetwm007(6 b)

rb- i just happened to stop by his place last summer. it is right on 412/62 going into gassville. when i saw all the plants in his garden i just had to stop. tomato people ain't too smart [me]. he was hawking plants and tomatoes and many other things. he plants mainly arkansas traveler and saves his own seeds. in his heated hoop house there have been approx. 12,000 seeds planted.

well the guy with the willow trees was probably pretty sharp. goodwill with give away tomatoes and a willow tree orchard to boot. willow tree makes a good rooting hormone also!

william

Bookmark   March 14, 2008 at 8:28PM
outdoor-girl(6)

That's just nuts! Now I'll pay more attention when driving through...I'm going to have to stop and maybe purchase a few plants.

Bookmark   March 15, 2008 at 10:21AM
razorback33(z7)

The bark of many species of Willow (and Popular) trees contain a chemical, Salicin, which the human body metabolizes into salicylic acid and has been used for 2500 years as a pain suppressant. Was used in the development of the modern day Aspirin in the late 1800's, by Bayer of Germany.
You can extract it by placing shredded bark in boiling water to make Willow tea. Works as well as Aspirin, if you can tolerate the bitter taste!
Rb

Bookmark   March 15, 2008 at 1:56PM
oakleif(z6 AR)

Love this post. Those tomato farmers might make a killing this year with the price of groceries.Oh gee!! to be able to buy tomatoes for 50 cents a bushel. I could can them and squirrel them away.

rb is right about the willow asprin tea and rooting tea. I've done the rooting thing but not the asprin thing.

Bookmark   March 15, 2008 at 4:59PM
oakleif(z6 AR)

Had to add a note. I was watching something on the History chanel yesterday when a commercial comes on advertizing tomato tree plants 6 for $10.00. Maybe i should plant some more tomatoes.

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
Merry Christmas!
First winter and first Christmas here in Bella Vista...
sharbear50
New plantings
As you may (or may not) be aware, I moved to Springdale...
dbarron
Merry Christmas!
I hope all my gardening friends have a wonderful Christmas....
gldno1
Ozarkers locations
I think it is time to start a new thread on where we...
peaceofmind
March Gardening Letter from MU
I always find good info on these: March Gardening Calendar...
gldno1
Sponsored Products
Linon Florence Area Rug - Brown - RUG-FL0423
$42.00 | Hayneedle
Illumine Lamps 22.5 in. Multi Color Football Novelty Lamp CLI-LS800170
Home Depot
Ash Velvetloft Plush Bed Blanket
$24.99 | zulily
Naples Satin Nickel Five-Light Pendant with 5.5-Foot Black Cord with Clear Glass
Bellacor
A & L Furniture Yellow Pine Traditional Backed Bench - 251-WP WHITE
$189.99 | Hayneedle
Naples Satin Nickel Five-Light Pendant with 5.5-Foot Silver Cord with Clear Glas
Bellacor
River Pebble Bath Towel in Light Beige
| Dot & Bo
Eglo Wall Mounted Thassos 1-Light Outdoor Bronze Wall Lamp 20638A
$79.97 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™