Shrub ID from Lowe's parking lot Southington, CT

javaandjazz(z6 CT)December 21, 2013

Saw this neat shrub in Lowe's parking lot of all places. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
corunum z6 CT(6)

Looks like a dying rhododendron, Ritchie, but the berries look like it may be bayberry. Not happy whatever it is.

Jane

This post was edited by corunum on Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 12:33

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 11:25AM
zencalc

Snowberry??
Agreed, it's not doing well.

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 11:44AM
mjc_molie(z6 CT)

Looks like rhododendron leaves, and I agree that they are looking poorly. I think there is a variety that also produces white berries but I don't know its name. Could this be a one that grows in warmer climates?

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 1:27PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Definitely not Rhododendron, since that produces dry brown capsules as opposed to berries. I think Jane got it with her suggestion of bayberry which has leaves that are a bit similar. Doing a scratch and sniff test will confirm since bayberry has a distinctive spicy odor.

Bayberry (Myrica pensylvanica) is tolerant of salt, which may be why it was planted in a parking lot, but it also is tolerant of wet soils which may be why it looks so unhappy; it may have gotten too dry at some point. Bayberries have male and female plants, so if you want berries, you need at least one male mixed in with females. The waxy berries were used to create candles in colonial times, but it takes a lot of them. I can't imagine picking enough bayberries to get wax for even one candle since the berries are boiled to separate off the thin layer of wax that gives them the whitish color.

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 2:12PM
rockman50(6b SEMASS)

I believe it is bayberry. And they are sort of semi-evergreen or decidious. That is probably why some of the leaves look brown. It could be perfectly healthy and is just losing some of its leaves (as long as that pic was taken recently and not last summer!).

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 1:48PM
diggingthedirt

I agree with Rockman - it looks like a reasonably happy bayberry losing some of its leaves. I have these, although mine are volunteers and seem to be all male (or, I guess, all female).

Never heard of a rhody with berries - that seems like an impossibility, at least if we're talking about botanical classifications.

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 5:14PM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

+1 for bayberry. Mine usually had many, if not all, their leaves turn brown and drop most years, but some years they were semi-evergreen.

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 6:54AM
More Discussions
Show Us Your Gardens - A Photo Thread -February 2015
Happy Snow Days New England Gardeners! Welcome to the...
pixie_lou
How to contact the new GardenWeb
On the right side of the main New England Gardening...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Bristol County Conservation District 2014 Plant Sale
Now is the time the Massachusetts County Conservation...
edlincoln
2015 Camellia Show at Tower Hill Botanic Garden
http://www.towerhillbg.org/index.php?cID=410 This weekend,...
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #2
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™