Alfalfa pellets - ok to apply for summer?

andyx123June 25, 2012

Alfalfa pellets are easy to find in my local TSC, they are cheap and fit thru my spreader. So, I'd like to stick to it.

Now, my lawn was poorly cared for last fall. During the spring I seeded and fertilized with milorganite and alfalfa. One application each, one month apart.

I haven't applied anything in the last 6-7 weeks. Would it be ok to add more alfalfa during the summer (lots of heat)? I want to make sure this year I care for the lawn properly and give it an extra boost during the summer (even if the FAQ's seem to say to leave it alone).

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ibanez540r

One of the benefits to organic is there really isn't a time interval or season restriction. I'd toss it down.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 6:33AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

There would not be a problem although if your soil becomes dry enough the soil bacteria that would digest those Alfalfa pellets might stop working for a while. If that happens the pellets will just sit there waiting for them to start working again. Many of the "fertilizers", even organic, could be lost during watering or rain since those nutrients would tend to be washed out as the water flows through the soil.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 7:15AM
solc

Kimmsr, I thought organic fertilizers were insoluble in water. One of the selling points on organics vs. synthetics is that the synthetics can be essentially washed away whereas the organic types won't.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 10:38PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

If a material has nutrients that can be easily measaured that means those nutrients are soluble and can flow out of the soil with water, whether they are synthetic or "organic". The nutrients in compost are difficult to measure because they are not very readily available (not very soluble) while many of the nutrients in manures are easily measured and are soluble. All materials have some of both types of nutrients.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 7:18AM
More Discussions
creeping charlie chump
OK, once and for all, is there an organic solution...
yardmartyr
Why not use herbicide to control Ground Ivy?
I have always practiced organic lawn care. I mow high...
tomp123
Best Organic Weed Control Ideas?
Hello, I am doing a project in which the objective...
Tigger033
Where do you buy your Tall Fescue seed?
I'm in Sacramento and looking to overseed our tall...
oberci
Kimmsr...
Kimmsr, I should mention that I have an acre of lawn...
Aggranduser
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™