Dixondale Farms 5th Largest Cantaloupe Grower

elkwc(6b)May 5, 2010

I was looking at the Harris Seed site tonight for some information. And checked out their new blog site. On April 9th they had a post about a trip to Texas and visiting Bruce Frasier and Dixondale Farms. And stated that they were the 5th largest grower of cantaloupes and the largest US grower of onions. Thought it might be of interest to some as many one here are like me and grow Dixondale onions. Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Harris Seeds

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the link. That was very interesting. Can you imagine farming 2500 acres? I loved his description of the 'desolate' area he traveled through to reach Carizo Springs. That was a perfect description for that part of the state!

Dawn

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 8:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seedmama(7)

Jay thanks for sharing. My husband grew up in deep South Texas. His sister in law tells hilarious stories about her and her siblings working in the onion fields before school every morning. They reeked of onions all day long, but so did the other kids, so no one cared!

Yes, it's desolate, but beautiful, and the people are wonderful. My husband wants to return to the family ranch for burial. I've teased him I won't be joining him because I don't want to spend eternity with wind-blown grit in my teeth!!!

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Attracting Beneficial Insects to Your Landscape
Sometimes I think many gardeners tend to overreact...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
Purchased comppost and soil.
Somewhere recently I read a post that had a phone number...
AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
Are there any young people that garden?
I'm 63 and just wondered if there were any young people...
pistol
Squash Resistant to Squash Bug and Squash Vine Borer
According to Jay White at Texas A&M University,...
chickencoupe
Gardenia and Peace Lily Zone 7
Hi All. My daughter died recently and we received...
realtrrldy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™