Help! my St. Augustine grass is dying

frehattonJuly 2, 2013

Hi all, I have attached a picture of my backyard, it seems that some spots are doing really well and others are slowly dying. We bought the house in January and since then have been mowing at 4" and watering 1" weekly. We did corn meal in January, Nature's Guide poultry litter base fertilizer and Molasses in March, and soy bean meal at the beggining of June. I'm not sure how to get my grass to grow evenly again. The front yard is doing great and we treat it the same. Thanks for all your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Have you had a soil test done?
How much organic matter is in that soil?
How well does that soil drain?
How well does that soil retain moisture?
What kind of life is in that soil?

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

The grass is dry. That can happen from not enough moisture or from rotten roots not letting the water up. Are you getting puddles of water in the dry areas? Puddles can allow fungal rot to set in. If no puddles then the areas are not getting enough water. That could be due to sprinklers not adjusted right, runoff from hydrophobic soils, sandy soils allowing moisture to run through, or simply the idea that you need more than 1 inch per week this time of year.

My guess is your sprinklers are not adjusted right. That's more of an educated guess because I can see what appears to be a circular shape on the grass in your big picture. Mid way up from center to the right side of the picture is a nice colored circle(ish) green. Outside of that is the dry area. If you put cat food cans perpendicular to the circle and turn on the sprinklers, you will probably see that the cans are not filling evenly.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 9:09PM
More Discussions
Where do you buy your Tall Fescue seed?
I'm in Sacramento and looking to overseed our tall...
oberci
DC Please Post Your Organic Lawn FAQs
I am considering going to organic fertilizers, DC could...
claga
Why not use herbicide to control Ground Ivy?
I have always practiced organic lawn care. I mow high...
tomp123
overseeding help !
Hi All, I have a 5000 sft lawn with tall fescue, in...
gmanar
So how out of touch are we????
Years ago, during one of those PBS marathon fundraisers,...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™