Signs of spring

christie_sw_mo(Z6)March 13, 2011

I saw a bluebird checking out my birdhouse yesterday. It's never had anything but sparrows nesting in it before so I'm hoping.

We have some daffodils and hellebores blooming and that's about it.

I guess the thunder we've been hearing is a sign of spring too.

Yesterday was sooo nice. We don't have enough days when the temperature is just right like that but very little wind. We gathered some rocks to fill a little sink hole that's forming in the field.

Chloe was keeping an eye on a hole in our back yard where garter snakes emerge every spring. I let the dogs in for awhile and watched to see if anything crawled out but not a one. Maybe it needs to be a little warmer. I can't help but wonder how deep the den is. I really hope my house doesn't fall into a sink hole someday.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gldno1

Yesterday was a perfect day for working outside.

I began the flower bed cleanup.....nothing but dead nettle.

We got 1.75 inches of rain late yesterday and a lot of serious lightening.

Today isn't going to be quite so nice!

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 9:29AM
mosswitch

Supposed to be better tomorrow, and the rest of the week. I need to get back out there again! So many weeds and leaves, so little time! Things are popping up faster than I can uncover them to see the flowers!

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 12:29PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Today is a beautiful day. The ground is muddy but it is a bit cool and perfect for shoveling mushroom compost which I finally bought. Christie I saw a rabbit in a yard in Joplin with nest materials in its mouth. Little bunnies are cute even if they do eat stuff.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 4:24PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I don't see as many rabbits as I used to. I think the black snakes, hawks and feral cats keep them in check. We have a coyote that comes around occasionally too.
I saw a tree blooming with white flowers yesterday, maybe some kind of magnolia - first blooming tree I've seen so far this spring. We should have a lot of trees blooming soon now that it's warming up.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 9:12AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I think three barking small dogs with sweet faces might scare away the rabbits. I am going to take some pictures of my daffodils even though they are all in the weeds and you will see how wild it is here.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
Sorted Garden Seeds
I finally did it and am very proud of myself. I even...
gldno1
Merry Christmas!
First winter and first Christmas here in Bella Vista...
sharbear50
Ozarkers locations
I think it is time to start a new thread on where we...
aniseb
Rainfall ?
Hi everyone. What amounts of rainfall have you had...
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
Elderly gardeners
Dup post...didn't show up for me and I reposted...pls...
dbarron
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™