Monarch Butterflies Need Help

arkbirdlady(7)March 16, 2013

The migratory population of Monarch butterflies is in sharp decline due to changes in agricultural practices resulting in fewer milkweeds in our fields. I am sending out an appeal to as many gardeners as I can reach. Please plant milkweeds/asclepias seeds. Pretty plant and easy to grow. The milkweeds are essential to the Monarchs. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gldno1

I finally got the orange one started in a flower bed and there should be the native orange and the swamp milkweeds all over the farm. We use no herbicides for weeds on the farm! I don't see nearly as many Monarchs as I used to.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 2:56PM
joeinmo 6b-7a

We bought some milkweed seed to plant around the property.

Everyone needs to do this, as Missouri has some of the highest migratory paths of the Monarch.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 10:37PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

What kind of milkweed are you planting Joe? In my experience, you can't change your mind if you plant asclepias syriaca. That stuff is impossible to kill. I wish I had stuck to other species or at least planted it somewhere other than where I did. I have a few orange milkweed plants (a tuberosa) and planted swamp milkweed and purple milkweed last year. Crossing my fingers that they'll return. My purple milkweed was still very small at the end of the season last fall.
Monarchs really like tropical milkweed but it's just an annual. Somewhere there's a Monarch website that sells it very cheap in bundles. Tempting.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 12:24PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

This may be the website (linked below) I was thinking of. They have rooted cuttings pretty cheap.
Welcome by the way Arkbirdlady. I didn't realize you were new to Gardenweb. You'll fit right in if you're a plant/bird/butterfly lover. Hope you join in the Ozarks Gardening Forum. Gardenweb has a Butterfly Gardening forum that you'll like too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly WorkX

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 12:45PM
joeinmo 6b-7a

I have the purple stuff, and some tropical.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 1:16AM
More Discussions
Elderly gardeners
Dup post...didn't show up for me and I reposted...pls...
dbarron
Ozarkers locations
I think it is time to start a new thread on where we...
aniseb
Merry Christmas!
First winter and first Christmas here in Bella Vista...
sharbear50
Craft fairs
I will have company visiting the week of Oct. 14. They...
helenh
Saw the first signs today......
And SOOO excited.....spotted daffodils and ornithogalums...
mocountryboys
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™