Suggestions on Greenhouse in/near Clinton MO

Josh1984March 9, 2012

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning on buying a house in or near Clinton in the next couple of months, so its time to start pre-planning for my greenhouse. I'm expecting to get a place with at least a quarter acre of land, and am looking for suggestions on what type of greenhouse to build and the cheapest way to heat it. I'm looking to have year-round fresh fruits (tomatoes) and vegetables (salad lettuces, carrots, etc.), as well as some ornamental plants. I'm considering a small pond within the greenhouse, and a small hot tub if I can fit/afford it. We're new to the area (and this will be my first greenhouse), so I'm not really sure what to expect in terms of planting conditions here. From what I've read so far, it seems like hoophouses are the best way to go to keep costs down, and the larger the better.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Josh, welcome to our part of the country. I live in Joplin and have a hobby greenhouse. Your plans sound fabulous, and I'm sure you will enjoy the whole experience. Bring lots of $$$ for winter heat, though, unless you have a small wood stove.

GardenWeb has a Greenhouse & Structures forum which has knowledgeable people with all kinds of greenhouses. Do a search on hoop houses there and you will get all sorts of ideas on set-up, heating, etc. I like the idea of a pond in there and hopefully, some fish. You can use the water from it beneficially.

Good luck!
Sunny

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 8:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Welcome Josh!
I don't have any experience with greenhouses, but the forum Sunny suggested has a wealth of information.
I'll link it below. There are two search features. The one about 3/4 of the way down will search just the Greenhouse forum. The one closer to the bottom will search all of Gardenweb. Best of luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenhouse Forum

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
Lavender from Seeds
I am just north of Springfield in Greene Co., Mo. ...
gldno1
looking for certain pepper
Howdy, Ozark gardeners. I am looking for seeds of a...
strongeagle
Saw the first signs today......
And SOOO excited.....spotted daffodils and ornithogalums...
mocountryboys
Merry Christmas!
First winter and first Christmas here in Bella Vista...
sharbear50
Ozarkers locations
I think it is time to start a new thread on where we...
peaceofmind
Sponsored Products
Evelyn Mae Fairy Figurine
$7.99 | zulily
Design House Outdoor Lighting. Madison County White Round Outdoor Downlight
$29.97 | Home Depot
Glomar Ceiling Mounted Lighting 3-Light Copper Espresso Semi Flush Dome with
Home Depot
Designers Fountain 84601 Cortona Wall Sconce in Chrome Finish - 84601-CH
$72.00 | Hayneedle
Florence Style Loft Wool Armchair in Red Tweed
$489.00 | LexMod