poppies

helenh(z6 SW MO)March 19, 2010

Winter sown and self sown poppies.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gldno1

Helen, that's interesting. I know you are a little south of me but I haven't seen any yet. I do have orientals up pretty tall. I need to do some searching. I didn't plant any assuming mine would self seed again.

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 7:17AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Glenda I am south of you, but according to the weather site, I'm colder than you. At least my recommended planting dates were later. I forget where we saw that. I think it was a link Christie provided.

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 11:22AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Glenda the wintersown poppies came up too early so I planted them and put a plastic tub over them. That is why they are earlier than yours. The reseeded one took care of itself and had no cover. This is the kind of junk I have in my yard along with old pieces of carpet for weed smothering, a million pots and stakes and too many yard ornaments.

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 11:41AM
kadasuki(z6 NW AR)

I just purchased red oriental poppies from Walmart and winter-sewed them in my 7 inches of snow. Do you think they'll sprout? I love poppies, can't find any colors but the red ones here, sigh.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 12:47PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I haven't grown the perennial ones in years but I think winter sowing will work. They probably won't bloom until next year. You should be able to find shirley poppies at wal-mart. I have some Shirley poppies if you want to send me your address. Are you familiar with poppies. They look ratty after they bloom and are kind of a cottage garden plant.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 4:25PM
kadasuki(z6 NW AR)

I have never heard of shirley poppies but will look them up. The only ones I know of are the fancy ones I've seen in garden catalogs and the red ones of Flanders Fields and Veterans' memorials.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 11:54PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Shirley poppies come in pastel colors and also the red flanders field type which I think are the same type of poppy. They should have been planted last fall but you might get something this year if you get them in the ground soon. I actually like P somniferum better which also should have been planted last fall.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 2:41AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Kadasuki I found my Shirley poppies planted last winter. Mine are not very big. I think you could sow them now and catch up. I found Shirley Poppies at Wal-Mart - I have a cat on my keyboard - Ferry Morse seed before sunflowers and after ornamental gourds. Or I will send you some, I have plenty. Spanky is being a real pain. Now she is kneading her paws on me. Earlier she was bugging the dog.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 12:41AM
gldno1

I finally found one reseeded poppy. Now I am wondering where all the others are!

My red/orange orientals are up 6 inches or so and the ones I started from seed a few years ago are up too. I think three small clumps of those, a white and a pink one.

Our only house cat almost never sits in DH's lap and never in mine. She is a funny creature. She has nothing to do with her grown babies outside!

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 5:47AM
janie1979

I love poppies and have tried to plant them several times without success. I bought seeds again this year and plan to plant this weekend. I hope I'm not too late to plant. helenh, I frequently have that same problem with trying to hold the cat and use the keyboard at the same time, sometimes it's a cat, sometimes a dog.

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 12:15PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

You might try milk jug top on them if you can put up with that look. Or a plastic tub with plenty of air circulation like I used above. I winter sowed in the milk jugs. Then you have to transplant hunks of seedlings because they don't transplant well.

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 12:32PM
More Discussions
Cold November
Accuweather is predicting a low of 12 for Monday. Brrrr Do...
christie_sw_mo
Lavender from Seeds
I am just north of Springfield in Greene Co., Mo. ...
gldno1
winter gardening
How many peaple garden thruout the winter in the Ozarks?...
strongeagle
some projects
rebuilt steps
mocountryboys
Saw the first signs today......
And SOOO excited.....spotted daffodils and ornithogalums...
mocountryboys
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™