Interesting Idea-Seeds

sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)March 8, 2013

Just this morning I was wondering what to do with my old vegetable seeds -- some from 2008+. I am pretty sure I am a Total Pack Rat, because I have seeds that never-somehow-got-planted, from 'way back.

I'm attaching a link which gives me hope that those seeds will live again (perhaps) and to that end, I'm dedicating space in most of my raised beds for this experiment. I've always mulched with chopped leaves or comfrey leaves, etc. but -- darn! - this appeals to my Conservative Spirit and my interest in Just Trying Things Out. So, we shall see. Anybody game?
Sunny
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2013/03/edible_mulch_throwing_seeds_at_the_garden_is_the_ultimate_low_effort_high.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I have lots of seeds that I bought and didn't plant. I might throw some around. I have lots of old flowers seeds that I could throw because otherwise I would never get them planted. I don't have a nice prepared area that isn't already spoken for; it would be like the mustard seed story. Some of them might happen to hit a place where they would grow. I doubt I would use crowder peas but they are supposed to be good for your soil. I could throw them between tomato plants until the tomatoes needed the space.

Here is a link that might be useful: sunny's link

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 1:29AM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Well, upon sleeping on the idea, I think I'll dedicate one raised bed to this method, along with my regularly planted potted vegetable starts in there. That appeals enough to my experimental nature.

Besides, the neighbors already think I'm weird, and I guess I am.
Sunny

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 8:12AM
NancyPlants(5bNEKs)

I've done a bit of this. After transplanting things like cabbage, broc, etc...I sprinkle in seeds for carrots, dill, etc. I've only done it in raised beds. It makes for a decidedly different looking garden. My mother had a bit of a puzzled look when she came to view my gardens. I was sure she didnt approve of the 'lived in' look but later told me how smart it was to take advantage of that otherwise wasted space. Getting your mothers approval always feels good :)

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 3:59AM
More Discussions
Storms
We were very lucky and only got 1.5 inches of rain...
gldno1
Fall Color l0 Days Ago (White now!)
Miscanthus by cellar: One of my very few remaining...
gldno1
Joplin Globe column for Sunday Feb 8
I keep forgetting to post my column on here. Hope you...
mosswitch
Swans
Saw these yesterday in the field behind ours and then...
christie_sw_mo
March Gardening Letter from MU
I always find good info on these: March Gardening Calendar...
gldno1
Sponsored Products
TRIBECCA HOME Vella Green Swivel Upholstered 29-inch Barstools (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
George Kovacs Bling Bling Steel Drum Pendant Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting
Serena & Lily Cut Circle Sheet Set
Serena & Lily
Red Cedar SoHo Obelisk
Fifthroom.com
Folding Teak Shower Seat
Signature Hardware
Basketweave Plynyl Floor Mat by Chilewich
$125.00 | Lumens
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Home Decorators Collection Rugs Dazzle Brown 2