It's springtime and everyone is thinking about wonderful smells from nature. So, in honor of springtime, I'm composing a list of the worst smelling plants. Please add or subtract as you see fit.
5. Privet...I know some folks really like this smell, but to me it's sufficating.
4. Mimosa...my friends Chad calls this "Avon Tree".
3. Umbrella Magnolia...wonderful native mountain tree, but really bad smelling flowers.
2. Photinia...worst smelling flowers, glad they aren't too common.
1. Callary Pears (inc. Bradford)...everyone who loves these trees should hang out under one for a while. These are coming up EVERYWHERE and there seems to be no stopping them short of a blight. I admit, they look nice in spring and fall, but they are the worst stinking tree I can imagine. From now on, I'll refer to them as "stinking pears".