Push Mower Mowing Height

willowglener(CAzone9)July 9, 2007

Greetings. I have been a lurker for quite some time. This forum really helps me in the past couple months. We installed new sod over a month ago, 90% fescue + 10% KBG (N. CA zone 9). We have reduced watering from twice a day to once a day to twice a week, along with application of coffee grounds and other organic matters. The first mow (two weeks after sod installation) was horrifying, with my Brill Luxus push mower taking off almost 1/2 of the blades. I thought I had it set wrong since we have not had a lawn for over a year during the remodel. Nope. It was set at the maximum height of 45mm. I love my push mower and I wouldn't trade it for any gas-powered model, but is there anyway I can mow higher than 1.8" for my fescue?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
willowglener(CAzone9)

Add to clarify. I have a reel mower and dwarf fescue. I wasn't very clear in the first post.

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 7:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chris_ont(5a Ont)

I have the same issue. I love the way a reel mower can whip around the weird corners that seem to happen in my garden, and how it can just be lifted over obstacles. (And how even young kids can be safely roped into mowing...)

Anyway, I wish mine wouldn't cut the grass so short. The only thing I've been able to come up with is to get larger wheels which would automatically raise the blades higher off the ground.

No idea where to find such wheels, though...

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
Questions about overseeding
Hi all, soon I will be overseeding my Tall Fescue with...
oberci
Liquid soil conditioners
Two particular companies have websites that sell liquid...
stan6
High % OM & Compaction/Hydrotropic
My front & back lawn have been 100% organic for...
sc77
Application rates of organic fertilizer
This year I have mainly been fertilizing with Agway...
pushmower38
Thanks for the Great Looking Lawn! :D
Just wanted to say thanks to this group for the advice...
raymondo17
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™