Spring in December?

bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)December 4, 2011

Here it is December 4th, with Christmas lights starting to shine and the stores busy with holiday shoppers. But instead of snow, I walk out and see my Knockout roses still in full bloom, a few confused Forsythia flowers open, winter jasmine loaded with flowers, fall camellia covered in white blossoms, and even the lavender still producing flowers! Oh, and the ice plants have quite a few flowers glowing in the sun! What's next? Palm trees at the RI beaches? How about a lemon tree out in the back yard? I wonder what's in store for the rest of the winter though. Will we see 5 feet of snow in March? Below zero in April?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

"Will we see 5 feet of snow in March? Below zero in April?" Shudder . . . Perish the thought! As much as I like snow, I wouldn't mind having a bit less this winter than most of the last few winters have had.

I did notice that my pasque flower is blooming, and some of the neighbors' forsythia is blooming. It has been a lovely warm fall - I haven't minded at all!

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 7:26PM
started_with_bean(Zone 5--MA)

Spring indeed! I recently found a bunch of self sown poppies starting their first set of true leaves in a container. Also, the calendula I chopped off has new leaves sprouting out on the left over stems.

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 10:28PM
gardenweed_z6a

It does seem strange but I'm grateful for the mild weather as it has allowed for clean-up from the devastating, catastrophic storm that hit October 29. I was without power 10 days, nearly a dozen trees on my property alone either snapped off or suffered extensive damage. It's been non-stop work to put the garden to rights and clear away debris.

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 7:31AM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Well, it seems the plants think it's spring! I've got daffodils peeking up, lilies doing the same, and a coworker has forsythia in bud. I expect to see snowdrops in bloom any day now.

On one hand, I have been thoroughly enjoying this beautiful weather... on the other hand, I know it just ain't right!

Dee

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
UMass Extension Landscape Message March 27, 2015
UMass Extension Landscape Message #2 - 2015 The Landscape...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Hummingbird Spring Migration 2015
I've been checking regularly and finally today there...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Web design resources: blogs & designer websites
I have two garden-related confessions to make today...
NHBabs
No spray cherry, apple, and pear tree recommendations?
I have larger area of my yard, where at some point...
agurkas
Mason Bee House - - Where to position?
I could go to the Bee Forum, but thought I would ask...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Sponsored Products
Holly 5 Piece King Bedroom Set in Espresso Dark Brown
$1,060.00 | LexMod
Muse Flower Wall/Ceiling Light by AXO Light
$524.70 | Lumens
Eliot Sofa - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Clark Spring Stripe Banded Window Valance
Overstock.com
Model 5929-97: Stafford Spring Dark Antique Bronze Seven-Light Island Pendant
$880.20 | Bellacor