Journal - Last Day of April !

gldno1April 30, 2010

Where has this month gone.....

I suspect I won't do anything outside today. The wind here is awful; we can feel it hit the house at times. With the loose dusty stuff on the road, even winds stirs up a lot of dust. We both seem to be allergic to it. I sneeze and DG coughs.

We did get one strand of polywire around my new orchard/garden space. I finished up the weedy end of the garage wall border and cleaned out the iris bed at the back of the garage; thinned more peaches by standing on the lawn mower.

I resorted to gly-4 for the brome around some things in the bed and need to paint some sapling stumps with diesel. If it kills part of the russian sage so be it. I must have just let things go last summer late! What a mess.

None of the Sugar Snap peas came up. I dug down and can find no seeds at all...something must have eaten them.

Also saw a Lorraine Sunshine rudbeckia terribly wilted. Checked around it and found a mole run under it. I stamped it down but don't know if it will survive or not. I think I will water it in today to settle the air pockets around it.

I moved the plants out to the cold frame but put the storm window at an angle over to protect from the winds. The tomatoes are looking really good, a nice dark green. I re-potted a few of them yesterday into bigger pots. It is late I know but now I won't have to get in a hurry to put them into the ground.

The little plum tree is way too loaded. I hope the winds will eliminate some because they are hard to pull off.

I think that has me updated.

How about the rest of you. Are the winds carrying you off?

to say nothing of the poor iris.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teeandcee(Florida 9b)

I'm enjoying these blustery days. It's one of the things I love about the area. :D

I moved a Sum & Substance hosta from the front too-sunny garden to my backyard garden. In case anyone doesn't know, this hosta gets huge, so I needed to get it moved before it grew to the size of a shed. It looks perfect in the new location plus I'll be able to enjoy it more.

Its old location is an oddball area composed of dry shade with just enough hot afternoon sun to make planting a challenge.

I'm battling crabgrass. Acres of it. I didn't know what it was last year and let it go. Ug.

I'm working on my shade garden under the upstairs deck. I'm amazed at how the hostas have doubled in size since last year. I'm going to be adding some astilbe and Lady's Mantle next week. I really love shade gardening!

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
Speaking of Gardens
Speaking of GardensToday's column in The Joplin Globe....
beadwitch
Breaking up new ground for garden
I am wanting to expand my garden in a couple of years...
mission16
Joplin Globe column for Sunday Feb 8
I keep forgetting to post my column on here. Hope you...
mosswitch
New plantings
As you may (or may not) be aware, I moved to Springdale...
dbarron
Saw the first signs today......
And SOOO excited.....spotted daffodils and ornithogalums...
mocountryboys
Sponsored Products
Travelers Journal Shower Curtain by Creative Bath Products - S0855MULT
$30.59 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Carlo Honey Arm Chair
Overstock.com
Archive Sky Rectangular: 5 ft. x 8 ft. Rug
$466.20 | Bellacor
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Surya Rugs Smithsonian Gray 2 ft. x 3 ft.
$77.40 | Home Depot
The Leather Journal with Optional Monogramming - 735-BLACK-3
$90.00 | Hayneedle
Archive Golden Brown Rectangular: 5 ft. x 8 ft. Rug
$466.20 | Bellacor
Leather Journal Insert Pages
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Surya Rugs Smithsonian Gray 2 ft. 6 in. x 8 ft. Flatweave
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™