This fall's gameplan, advice needed.

WestchesterGrower(Lower NY)August 4, 2009

Hi all,

This is my first full year of organic and things have gone fairly well. The grass actually never looked better at this point (aside from a disease that just hit it). Some weeds have come up, but that haven't been too bad of a problem.

Anyways, like last year, in early September I plan to fertilize with milorganite, Corn/bone meal, and over-seed. This worked wonders last year and the lawn came up great in the Spring. Overall, I want to get great seed this year from Lesco. I think I mainly have fescue and Perennial rye. Would getting a mix of KBG be a mistake? Should I just keep to one type and in your opinion, what would perform the best in my area (lower NY)? Any other steps I should take this fall?

Thanks for everything!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WestchesterGrower(Lower NY)

I guess just to simplify, I have read a thread about the pros/cons of different types of grasses in my area and that is my main concern. But just to push this thread down, I will just get a mix and go at it.

Bookmark   August 15, 2009 at 8:55PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

I don't think KBG is ever a mistake. In fact I think fescue is a mistake, but that's me.

Look for seed with 0.00% Other Crop and 0.00% Weed. I don't know if Lesco carries that high quality of seed, but it is available. Otherwise you are simply seeding your lawn with weeds.

Bookmark   August 16, 2009 at 12:59PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

...and if they come back and say, "but it's only 0.02% weeds," the problem with that is creeping bentgrass seeds are the size and weight of dust. 0.02% per pound could be hundreds of seeds.

Bookmark   August 16, 2009 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
overseeding help !
Hi All, I have a 5000 sft lawn with tall fescue, in...
gmanar
Objective Proof for Organic vs. Non-organic?
I have always been in the camp of, "Feed the soil,...
chaoticut
Kimmsr...
Kimmsr, I should mention that I have an acre of lawn...
Aggranduser
PLEASE HELP - identify this weed
Hello all, I live in North Texas and just started organic...
steelerdan
Cornmeal for Brown Patch Disease Works
Hi, I just wanted to share that I had Brown Patch Disease...
bettyfb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™