Organic Bermuda lawn needs helps!

mscottw2(9)August 28, 2008

I can't figure out what wrongs with my lawn and I was hoping some of you could help shed some light. A couple months ago I got a new mower, so the lawn did get scalped (somewhat.) The problem is, it usually recovers by now, and some spots seem to be getting worse. What do you guys think, I have had a problem with grubs in the past. I fertilized it with alfalfa pellets and cracked corn a couple days before fay came through. (about 10 days ago)

Scalped...Grubs....Fungus? It's also never been aerated, and it's one year old turf from seed (princess.)

I mow at 1", and have not irrigated since June. We've been getting plenty of water lately. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
billhill(z5 MI - KBG)

I have no first hand experience with Southern lawns, but from reading here and there, I think your lawn needs fertilizer. Higher protein grains than corn and alfalfa you mentioned would provide more nitrogen. Try monthly applications of SBM. Member OKCdan has a beautiful Bermuda lawn. Hopefully he will chime in with advice for you. Below is a link to his information page.
Bill Hill

Here is a link that might be useful: OKCdan's page

Bookmark   September 2, 2008 at 1:20PM
skoot_cat

I agree, SBM would be a better choice for Bermuda. It has a much higher protein content than alfalfa. Apply it every 45days during the growing season @ 15lbs per 1000sqft. If you want to use Alfalfa you should double or triple the application rate. If it doesnt matter either way I would use Alfalfa for the first feeding, after spring green up @ 30-40lbs per 1000sqft then use SBM for the rest of the growing season.

Bookmark   September 2, 2008 at 2:54PM
okcdan(7 OKC - Bermuda)

From what I can see, your lawn just needs to be fed. Alfalfa pellets & cracked corn when applied at normal application rates (10-20 lbs/1000sqft) aren't gonna get it. For really good looking bermuda on a strictly organic program, you need an application of either soybean meal, cottonseed meal or corn gluten meal every 30 days, while mowing frequently with a reel mower.

Here's a pic of mine from spring '08 freshly mowed @ .500" as it came out of dormancy:

Bookmark   September 3, 2008 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Questions about overseeding
Hi all, soon I will be overseeding my Tall Fescue with...
oberci
So how out of touch are we????
Years ago, during one of those PBS marathon fundraisers,...
bossyvossy
Help, switching to organic lawn
So, I aerated and reseeded my bare(dead, dying, weed...
ballerj63
Cornmeal for Brown Patch Disease Works
Hi, I just wanted to share that I had Brown Patch Disease...
bettyfb
Thatch Problem?
I'll be having the lawn aerated next week and I was...
nickrosesn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™