Basic Cornmeal Questions

viche(7a MD)August 24, 2009

Been thinking of switching to cornmeal for my lawn for a while now and I have a few unanswered questions:

1. Will Cornmeal attract ants? I alreday have enough of them on my property. I don't see how the ants won't be attracted to this source of sugar/protein.

2. Should I be looking for "cornmeal" or "cracked corn?" What's the difference? Will cracked corn grow into corn plants?

3. Does cornmeal or cracked corn contain cgm? I might want to reseed a few areas.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Whole ground corn meal is the entire corn kernel ground up. Corn gluten meal has much of the carbohydrate stripped off to make corn syrup so what you are left with is the gluten of the seed. It is mostly protein.

Cracked corn is made of broken corn kernels that fall through a sifter. Some fully mature corn kernels are small enough to fall through the sifter. Those will sprout and die after they are mowed one time. I wish all weeds did that.

Whether corn meal attracts or repels your ants remains to be seen. If they take a load of corn meal into their mound, the corn meal grows a fungus that kills other fungi. If the ants are the kind that farm organic material to allow it to rot in their mound, the predatory fungus that grows on the corn meal may destroy their food supply. There is a long standing rumor/urban legend that corn grits kills ants. There could be some truth to that rumor that has not been studied. Generally the cessation of synthetic fertilizers and chemicals and start of organic fertilizing means your entire garden gets more in the natural balance. Predators have healthier prey to eat and that attracts more of them to your yard. I had never seen a toad or lizard in my yard until I stopped using chemicals and began with corn meal.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 5:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
viche(7a MD)

Ok so we have:

1. Whole ground corn meal
2. Corn gluten meal
3. Cracked corn

Which is the best to use for lawn fertilization assuming you don't want a pre-emergent, but do want fungal control.

Obviously #2 is going to be a pre-emergent.

Since #1 & #3 can contain the entire kernel, do they also contain cgm and thus act as pre-emergents? Or does CGM only act as a pre-emergent when it is separated out from the whole kernel?

Is one better for fungal control?

Is one better as a fertilizer?

Will these be clearly labeled as #1, 2, or 3 when I go to buy them or might someone sell CGM as "corn meal"?

Thanks again

Bookmark   August 25, 2009 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
So how out of touch are we????
Years ago, during one of those PBS marathon fundraisers,...
bossyvossy
Best Organic Weed Control Ideas?
Hello, I am doing a project in which the objective...
tigger033
Thatch Problem // Missing Opportunity to Aerate
I live in zone 5b and have approximately 1" of...
claga
Morpheuspa, need help with soil test from Logan Labs 2015
You come highly recommended by our mutual acquaintance...
ccigator
Cow Manure
If I took fresh cow manure, made a tea out of it and...
srks72
Sponsored Products
Pfaltzgraff Basics Carlisle 18/0 20-piece Flatware Set
Overstock.com
San Francisco Giants Garden Flag
$8.99 | zulily
Wirtanen Rectangular Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Wood Ceiling Pot Rack - PR-40293
$78.47 | Hayneedle
Free-Pad New 9' x 12' Ivory Hand Knotted Antiqued Oriental Heriz Serapi Wool Rug
BH Sun Inc
Braided Area Rug: Monroe Deep Wine 10' x 13'
Home Depot
Rustic pewter napkin rings (set of 4) (one set left)
Origin Crafts
Brushed Nickel Whitehaus WH83214 Widespread Deck Mount Cross Bath Faucet
$399.00 | Blue Bath
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™