How many times to shampoo lawn

michaell1999August 13, 2012

Hello

My 2 year old bermuda lawn in Atlanta had flood and drainage problems with the thunderstorms. Someone recommended baby shampoo so I applied the 3oz per 1000sq ft. waited for some rain then applied shampoo again. Two weeks later and the grass is starting to grow back, along with an explosion of spotted spurge. Not complaining too much about the spurge since the area was dormant bermuda and wouldn't come back no matter how much I watered.

After two applications of baby shampoo do I need to apply any more?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Not unless you want to increase the depth of moisture penetration. You can check the ability of a screwdriver to penetrate the soil. How hard is it to push in. You may need a very long screwdriver.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 12:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Adding shampoo, or any other type of soap, reduces the surface tgension of water and lets it pentrate deeper and faster then without, and is the only reason for doing that. If your soil is too compacted for water to penetrate without the addition of the soap (shampoo) then you need to check the level of organic matter (and increase it) in that soil so repeated use of that material is unnecessary.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 7:34AM
More Discussions
Helping neglected lawn recover
Hi We bought our house last winter. It was a rental...
NVL4
Planting Clover Stolons (or Any Stolons Really)
Has anyone ever tried to transplant clover or a stoloniferous...
CPTK
Cornmeal for Brown Patch Disease Works
Hi, I just wanted to share that I had Brown Patch Disease...
bettyfb
Kimmsr...
Kimmsr, I should mention that I have an acre of lawn...
Aggranduser
Why not use herbicide to control Ground Ivy?
I have always practiced organic lawn care. I mow high...
tomp123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™