shredded beet pulp

Sandy16August 19, 2012

My local feed store has 50# bags on clearance for $5.99. Just wondering if any of you have any thoughts on using this on the lawn. I'm guessing it won't have the punch of the rabbit feed I put down but my main goal right now is to slowly ammend my clay soil. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sandy16

I found an answer to my beet pulp by asking my dog's vet. Beet pulp is glucose rich, high in fiber. So, good soil amendment, breaks down too slowly for topdressing.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 1:05PM
Nevermore44 - 6a

Looks like its around 8% protein... But that's a good cost.!!

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 9:12PM
pamshoes

Beet pulp is what's left over after all the sugar is extracted, so it's not high in glucose unless molasses is added. Are you trying to use strictly organic products? Most beet pulp in this country is GMO and exported to China. I feed plain beet pulp without molasses to my insulin resistant horse because it's low in sugar. It's very high in fiber, high in calcium, low in phosphorus and magnesium.

Here is a link that might be useful: beet pulp analysis, with and without added molasses

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 1:27PM
Sandy16

Pamshoes - at this point I'm trying to improve my rock hard clay soil. Fertilizing it via organic means is a bonus. My lawn is eating everything I've put down at a rapid pace and I want to keep adding until winter hits. Alfalfa and grains get expensive in large quantities. I saw the beet pulp and wondered if it would add some humus eventually. It's more about tilth improvement than nutrition at this stage.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
Thatch Problem?
I'll be having the lawn aerated next week and I was...
nickrosesn
Increasing height of celebration bermuda
Our lawn was sodded with bermuda celebration a bit...
trussin.22
Help, switching to organic lawn
So, I aerated and reseeded my bare(dead, dying, weed...
ballerj63
Kimmsr...
Kimmsr, I should mention that I have an acre of lawn...
Aggranduser
Thanks for the Great Looking Lawn! :D
Just wanted to say thanks to this group for the advice...
raymondo17
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™