Got PART of the yard mowed yesterday

christie_sw_mo(Z6)April 10, 2013

Had to air up a tire but the mower is running and dh put new plugs in. My yard wouldn't look too bad if not for the wild onions peeking up above the other grass (and weeds).

Why are there so many weeds coming up in my containers? I don't remember ever having so many. That's unfair. lol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I mowed part of my yard and thanked God the mower started. I have a tire that goes flat too sometimes off the rim flat; this time I just aired it up. All the tires are full of that green stuff. The tire that goes flat must have a big hole. I remember how hard it was to get it off the axle one time so I guess I will put up with it. It looks better mowed but I don't have a lawn. It is pretty flowers and big clumps of grass here and there.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 8:59PM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Christie, I have read that when there are green onions in a lawn, it has a calcium deficiency. My front zoysia yard has a lot of them. I'm wondering how to get calcium into the soil.
Any ideas?
Sunny

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 8:33AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

That's interesting about the onions. I have spots here and there where there are clumps. I don't know anything about calcium. I'm beginning to think it doesn't help to pull wild onions even if you get the roots. I think there may be tiny blubs left behind that resprout.
I have lots of "pretty flowers" too Helen. lol Dandelions and Henbit I think or lamium, I don't know which (maybe both) and some that look like very tiny pansies or violets blooming right now and some even smaller flowers that have four purple/blue petals. I don't know what either of those are. The last couple hot dry summers have been hard on our lawn.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 10:40AM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Well, about the calcium deficiency, I did some online research and found that lime or ashes will help the onion situation. My cousin burns wood, so she's bringing me a bucket of ashes. You might also have an acid ph as I do. Mine was 5.5 a few years ago and I've been working on it since.

Sunny

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 10:08AM
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a(6a)

Mowed the yard for the first time yesterday after pulling 4 wheel barrows full of the nasty purple dead nettle. That obnoxious stuff is everywhere. Still debating if it would be okay to throw into the compost since it has tiny flowers all over it.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 10:38AM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Well, if it's really a nettle, it would be great for the compost. But I don't know about the flower part. Are you sure nettle is what it is? Does it sting your hands? I have worlds of a green thing that has purple flowers. I pull the flower part off before tossing it into the bin.
Sunny

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 11:30AM
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a(6a)

Here is a shot of it sunnyside1.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 1:29PM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Yes, that's the stuff I have. It's Henbit. I have chickweed too, a little bit, and I don't put that in the compost. But I do the henbit.
Sunny

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 8:12AM
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a(6a)

It doesn't sting my hands at all. Has a square stem and gets about 8 - 10 inches tall in clumps to cover the area.

This post was edited by dirtguy50 on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 8:24

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 8:23AM
More Discussions
Rainfall ?
Hi everyone. What amounts of rainfall have you had...
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
Sorted Garden Seeds
I finally did it and am very proud of myself. I even...
gldno1
my thoughts on peppers
I don't eat hot peppers but I have found that the horn...
helenh
Planted some seeds
I finally got part of my plant light stand cleaned...
gldno1
A Sample of My Country-Style Gardening
This combo is all self-seeding annuals: Salvia farinacea;...
gldno1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™