Prairie Blooms

hergrammy(z6SWMO)April 10, 2008

Has anyone had any experience with the "Prairie Blooms Award Winning Perennials and Annuals" - trialed by K State?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I love to browse through plant award lists. Plant CATALOGS can be more than a little deceiving but university trials like that one are unbiased and it's even more helpful that they have a similar hot-summer climate. I wasn't familiar with the one you mentioned so I looked it up. The link below has a list of the perennials (specific cultivars) that performed well for them. They had a list for annuals also.

The Mobot website has a list of "Plants of Merit" that's helpful and they have links to a chart with "bloom time" for some plants so you can see when and how long each plant was in bloom.

Missouri State has a fruit experiment station in Mtn. Grove and a little garden along Kansas in Springfield that you can visit where the students trial annuals and maybe some perennials too.

I wonder what other universities or botanical gardens do trials in our area.

Fess up Hergrammy - What did you buy? : ) Do they have lots of the Prairie Blooms award plants at Arnold's Greenhouse? When I went to K-State's site, it said Arnold's supplies some of the plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Blooms trials

Bookmark   April 12, 2008 at 11:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hergrammy(z6SWMO)

Actually, I didn't purposefully buy that many Prairie Blooms because didn't understand what they were at the time. There was a whole section, several tables devoted to them though - quite a collection.
Some of the plants to me are just not that pretty - Lamb's Ear for instance and Bee Balm (mildew). I like Tickseed and Bath's Pinks, Ice Plant, Hens and Chicks, and Tall Sedum and have all of those.
Have become very interested in peonies and they have listed several as Prairie Bloomers, which I think would be good insurance for success. Shawnee Chief, Sarah Bernhardt, Karl Rosenfield, Festive Maxima, and Duchess de Orleans. Does anyone have any experience with those?

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
Craft fairs
I will have company visiting the week of Oct. 14. They...
helenh
A Sample of My Country-Style Gardening
This combo is all self-seeding annuals: Salvia farinacea;...
gldno1
Hello Everyone!
Well, I've been away for 8 years but am finally back...
fourseasons_2
Merry Christmas!
First winter and first Christmas here in Bella Vista...
sharbear50
some projects
rebuilt steps
mocountryboys
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™