My hellebores have buds!

audrey_gwJanuary 4, 2007

I know hellebores usually do bloom in mid-winter in England. It's why they are sometimes called Christmas Rose. But mine here in western PA usually have enough sense to wait for spring. Our unusually mild winter, though, has apparently convinced them that they're in a completely different zone!

People used to think that flowers which bloomed outside their season were bad luck. In fact, even dreaming about certain posies outside of their natural season was a bad omen. Probably because disease was thought to spread more rapidly when the weather was unusually warm. ("A green Christmas means a full graveyard.") Which was no doubt true if people got out and around more because of the balmy temperatures. But I'll consider it bad luck if everything blooms early, and we have a bare Easter!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirtdivarocks(z6 SW PA)

lol. I just ran out and checked my hellebores. They're not blooming. So far no bad omens. But, I have to say I'm not one to be superstitious.

Bookmark   January 4, 2007 at 10:08PM
wolfe15136(z6 PA)

My roses are leafing out, and there is color on the buds of my peach trees.

Not good.

Bookmark   January 5, 2007 at 9:10AM
blueheron(z6 PA)

My hellebores are blooming! Roses have sprouted, too. I don't like this weather, but we've had warm Januarys before, I just don't recall any!

Bookmark   January 6, 2007 at 12:11PM
karen_b(6a s.c. PA)

this is the second year for my hellebores (green flowers) and they bloom in January (are now too), did last year in the snow too. I think there are different varieties that bloom at different times.

Bookmark   January 16, 2007 at 11:59AM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

Mine are starting to bloom too.

Bookmark   January 16, 2007 at 9:38PM
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

All of my H. foetidus (Stinking hellebore) are in full bloom, and I also have open blooms on some H. x hybridus (lenten Rose) plants. Many folks over here in eastern PA have H. niger (Christmas Rose) in bloom also, though mine are not blooming this season for some reason. All together, the season appears about 2 months early for us as regards hellebores. I have many H. foetidus and H. argutifolius seedlings already sprouted, although these generally jump up in late march, not january.

George

Bookmark   January 17, 2007 at 12:13PM
zeffyrose_pa6b7(6b7)

My Camellia Bush had some beautiful blooms around Christmas.-----still has a lot of buds but they look frozen. It was difficult to get good picture--it was close to the ground and the sun was shining directly into the camera.

Florence/zeffyrose

Bookmark   January 20, 2007 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
Need suggestions for fast growing hardy privacy shrubs.
I'm looking to plant some privacy shrubs in our backyard...
Jsc12
Has anyone seen this beetle mixed in with your japanese beetles?
I found this beetle out on my beans. Apparently, six...
bella_trix
Vegetable planting dates guide for 5b
Does anyone have a link to a guide for vegetable planting...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
What kind of tree is this?
We bought a house recently and I would like to know...
Pittsburgh_Amy
Seedless Grapes
Has anyone has any success with seedless "table"...
nick_17815_pa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™