Ground cover you can walk on

brandles(7 NE OK)April 15, 2010

Hi all,

I want to plant some ground cover around my daughters play set. We are getting tired of weed eating every year. Please suggest plants that will grow well without much watering in mostly full sun and poorly drained heavy clay soil. Crossing my fingers there is a variety out there that fits the bill. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jessaka

thyme? i am just guessing. if i am wrong i hope others will let me know. i planted time but it is mostly in the shade but growing anyway, and i can walk on it.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 7:40AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I was so glad when our kids outgrew their swingset. I hated mowing around that thing. I can understand why you're asking.

I haven't planted thyme so I don't know how tough it is. The ground gets a lot of wear and tear underneath a playset though. I think it might be hard to keep something going where the kids walk the most. Maybe you could kill the grass and plant something like thyme right around the posts where it's hardest to mow, then leave the rest in grass. Or put a circle of mulch around the posts. Would that help?

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 11:33AM
brandles(7 NE OK)

There is more to the reason I want ground cover instead of grass... Here's some background info first. We moved in to our home last summer and the back yard was a blank slate. The only thing back there is a trampoline and a playset. We have one child who is 4. We are going to build out a covered patio and while we are at it I want to do some landscaping. Even if we aren't ambitious enough to finish it in one season I want to have a plan. Part of the plan is to create a defined play area. I want to install the trampoline in ground and plant ground cover around the trampoline and the playset. I realize there may be some negative space where a path is worn but that's okay because if it's necessary I will lay some mulch or pea gravel in those areas. I want to save money and the future trouble of getting rid of whatever material I use to define that space. Not only that, it would be nice to save DH some work by decreasing the area he needs to mow so I can order up a longer honey do list. :) I know it's kind of a tall order finding a plant that can tolerate some abuse and not get too tall or create a trip hazard, but I have to try. :) I'm even open to plants that might be considered weeds by some. My daughter would love something flowering.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 12:50PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I don't think thyme is very tough and I think it likes good drainage.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 2:58PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I've seen pea gravel on playgrounds. At a preschool that my twins went to, they had a sandbox filled with pea gravel for the kids to play in with dump trucks, shovels and such. Not as messy as sand. Your daughter might like that to dig in, bury toys etc. You would need to use landscape timbers or something to keep it separate from the grass.

I think it would be difficult to keep weeds out of a big area of ground cover but honestly haven't tried it so I can't say. There is a website called Stepables.com that might be helpful to you but don't forget they're trying to sell something. You could try just doing part of the area and see how it goes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stepables.com

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 3:39PM
More Discussions
Merry Christmas!
I hope all my gardening friends have a wonderful Christmas....
gldno1
winter gardening
How many peaple garden thruout the winter in the Ozarks?...
strongeagle
Whatever happened to Springfield Seed?
Not sure that's the right name but the one that was...
christie_sw_mo
Saw the first signs today......
And SOOO excited.....spotted daffodils and ornithogalums...
mocountryboys
my thoughts on peppers
I don't eat hot peppers but I have found that the horn...
helenh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™