Israeli Agriculture and Oklahoma

AlyoshaKMay 16, 2014

Stumbled across this Noble Foundation article last night. "Israeli Agriculture and its promise for Oklahoma". Hoop houses, shade cloth, insect netting, and other topics will be of interest to the Oklahoma gardener. It's from 2009 so some of you may have already read it. It was written after a 10-day visit organized by the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Israeli Agriculture and its Promise for Oklahoma

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amunk01

Thanks for the link, very interesting. I somehow ended up on a uk polytunnel website after a few google searches that gave me the perfect template for the mini-tunnels ive been dreaming of building. Awesome!

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 1:23AM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Charles , I'm glad you linked this. I had read it on the Noble Foundation's website long ago. Their website is full of fascinating info although sometimes you have to hunt for it a while to find it. I think their website is the first time I ever saw plastic tunnels in use in OK horticulture/agriculture. It probably was from articles on their research with strawberry plasticulture.

There is a lot of agricultural research done in Israel that is of benefit to the rest of the hot, dry nations of the world. I am constantly amazed by how much they have done, agriculturally, in a climate that is not ideal.

Dawn

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 9:24AM
AlyoshaK

The article immediately reminded me of something posted by someone on this forum, soonergrandmom, I think, that from her experience in the last years things are trending such that gardening under covers will become necessary eventually.

Dawn, what did you think of the part about growing fruit trees under covers?

Charles

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 2:10PM
AlyoshaK

Amunk, glad it helped!

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 2:12PM
nowyousedum(7a)

I would be interested in reading the response(s) about undercover gardening.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 10:24PM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Charles, I think it would be the ideal solution to living in OK.

Go to the Fruit/Orchard forum and search for Fruitnut's posts. He lives in west Texas at a high altitude and grows all kinds of fruit trees in containers in a greenhouse.

If we ever build a high-tunnel type greenhouse, it will be so we can grow fruit with a fighting chance of not losing it to late frosts. I only get a great tree fruit harvest one year out of three, a moderate harvest one year out of three, and no harvest one year out of three. Lately, the 'no harvest' has happened more than one year out of three, so Mother Nature owes me a great harvest for two years in a row.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 11:30PM
More Discussions
Looking for something pretty that will tolerate full sun but wet feet
I have an odd bed in the front yard (our house faces...
wulfletons
Organic straw
Anyone know of a source for organic straw? I want to...
draej
Well, that's the end of my garden...
Class 5 water restrictions in Duncan. No exceptions....
wbonesteel
Lisa, did you see: Work starts to protect monarch butterflies
Their bright orange and black wings are a familiar...
OklaMoni
Cactus ID help
Can anyone identify this for me? It started growing...
jmichigan
Sponsored Products
Tiny Town´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Active Play &
$255.95 | Bellacor
Detroit 36-Bottle Floor Standing Wine Rack - 7237
$152.99 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor FANMATS Rugs Oklahoma State University 2 ft. 10 in. x 3
$49.97 | Home Depot
Clay Service Bowl
Design Within Reach
Oklahoma Sound Floor Lectern with Wireless Handheld Microphone In Walnut
Beyond Stores
NCAA Oklahoma Sooners Jersey Mesh Valance
$23.95 | Bellacor
Oklahoma Sound Aristocrat Floor Sound Lectern In Medium Oak