Cannas...best time to plant?

pamcrews(6 SW Missouri)April 3, 2009

Hi All. I hope you are enjoying spring as much as I am. I was wondering when do most of you plant your cannas and elephant ear bulbs in the ground? I see so many wonderful things coming up in the garden but I'm afraid the ground still might be a bit too cold and they would rot. When do you start planting those type tropicals?

Thanks,

Pam

Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jspeachyn5

Pam,
"When", I dig them or am planting new ones.
I just put all of mine into some buckets with some slightly damp soil. not wet or anything like that. just a very little bit of water. I let them sit in the garage until may before I put them into the ground. I move them out onto the carport when it is sunny an warm but bring back in at night until it will be at least 40 out.
It helps give them a little bit of a head start. But if you don't want to do that I would wait until the soil is quite warm. Also when you put them in, keep them raised up, like in a mound. So the water drains very well. Then when it starts to be very warm say end of May first of June. I put more soil/compost around them and mulch to hold in some of the moisture. Just don't do it before then or they will rot.
Any way that is what I do but everyone is different.
Bonnie

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 7:09PM
pamcrews(6 SW Missouri)

Hi Bonnie. Sounds like excellent advise. I like the idea of giving them a chance to "warm up" a bit in the garage before they will go to the ground. I'll get them out of the basement this weekend and put them in some buckets.

Thanks!
Pam

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 10:24PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Pam - I leave my cannas in the ground here but I've lost a few. I used to dig mine and had the best blooms when I started them early by putting them in moist peat and putting them in a south window to sprout, then transplanting them. They flowered earlier that way. It was several years ago. I hope I'm remembering right. The canna forum would have lots of info. I quit digging mine because I had trouble storing them. I had some that molded and some that got too dry.

It always seems to take forever for elephant ears to emerge after I plant them. I haven't tried giving those a head start like Bonnie but it sounds like a good idea.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 6:42AM
jspeachyn5

The reason I like to give mine a head start is b/c they won't grow until the soil warms up. This way with a slight jump in starting in the garage they get to start getting accumulated to soil again.
I suppose you could always cover the soil w/something to warm it up to speed up development. ?
right now I have my cannas, EE's & dahlias in the garage sitting in soil. Waiting for the flower beds to warm up.
I only dug up my EE's last fall b/c they needed to be divided. That is most definitely not a every year job for me.
Bonnie

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 11:53AM
Violet_Z6(6a)

I leave my cannas in the ground. I dig deeper, plant them deeper than normal, and mulch with about three inches of shredded leaves or a large pile of whole leaves. They've been re-emerging out of the ground for a week and a half now. No cold damage.

Bookmark   April 8, 2009 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Saw the first signs today......
And SOOO excited.....spotted daffodils and ornithogalums...
mocountryboys
Speaking of Gardens
Here's my column for today, if you missed it or don't...
mosswitch
Cold November
Accuweather is predicting a low of 12 for Monday. Brrrr Do...
christie_sw_mo
looking for certain pepper
Howdy, Ozark gardeners. I am looking for seeds of a...
strongeagle
March Gardening Letter from MU
I always find good info on these: March Gardening Calendar...
gldno1
Sponsored Products
Holiday Faux Phalaenopsis Orchid Arrangement
Overstock.com
Edgy Round LED Task Lamp by Trend Lighting
$310.00 | Lumens
40-Oz. Automatic Dishwasher Gel
$5.99 | zulily
Canterbury Arbor - 48" Opening
Fifthroom.com
Erasable Identity Metal Planters in Red - Set of 3
$39.99 | Dot & Bo