Brown patch gone, but how to address the damage? (PICS)

ljbrandt(8)September 7, 2009

I have been fighting brown patch pretty much since early spring. I finally got it under control after breaking down and buying 150 lbs of corn meal and laying down monthly applications of 20#/1000sqft. Unfortunately, the damage has been done and my lawn is now left with several large dead patches of grass. What do I do now?! I have Zoysia grass and after doing some reading, most people advise NOT to overseed Zoysia and let it grow back on its own. But as you can see below, my lawn is in pretty bad shape from brown patch and I'm not sure if anything will grow back without some major renovations?

P.S. - I just purchased a turf hound aerator and was planning on using it in the Spring next year, but should I use in now? (central Alabama)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

You have the same dilemma that many zoysia owners face. You can leave it alone, dig it out, or replace the entire lawn. All the zoysia lawns I've seen in San Antonio have picked the option to replace the entire lawn when this happens.

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 2:14PM
ljbrandt(8)

Oh geez!

So I take it there's little hope for it to fill in and overseeding doesn't work either?

I'd hate to completely dig up an expensive zoysia lawn :-(

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 3:05PM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

Try soybean meal to speed up growth if you can find it for less than 15 dollars a bag. Cottonseed meal is a good one if it's cheap. Do it now to get ready for spring growth. Repeat 3 weeks prior average last freeze/frost next spring. May have to apply corn meal as well as preventative.

I would not overseed as it can significantly slow down recovery next year.

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 2:40PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Expensive, yes! Your options are few. Try what lou suggests and see how it goes through next May. If you don't have solid zoysia by Memorial Day, you'll surely have crabgrass.

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 4:38PM
ljbrandt(8)

Ill definitly give that a try and keep my fingers crossed. I'll also keep putting down cornmeal on monthly basis until it gets cold and maybe aerate to help turn up some of the harder soil. Thanks guys!

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 5:41PM
More Discussions
Thatch Problem?
I'll be having the lawn aerated next week and I was...
nickrosesn
Liquid soil conditioners
Two particular companies have websites that sell liquid...
stan6
Planting Clover Stolons (or Any Stolons Really)
Has anyone ever tried to transplant clover or a stoloniferous...
CPTK
Is It to Late in the to Apply Organic Fertilizers in Zone 5b
The condition of my lawn: The lawn is thick, but lacks...
claga
Questions about overseeding
Hi all, soon I will be overseeding my Tall Fescue with...
oberci
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™