Mexican Petunias

sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)April 16, 2012

On a hunch, I went to Jink's a few days ago and they had the tall Mexican Petunias I love so much -- Ruellia brittoniana "Purple Showers." (Be still my heart!!!) Boy, they looked husky and healthy -- unlike the poor things I overwintered as cuttings from last year's cuttings. So I have new blood now and All Is Well. Because I can't imagine not having them blooming their heads off at the gate.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up. Not so many unusual perinneals as a few years ago, but still worth the trip out there.

Sunny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I don't need plants but something tells me I'll probably be going to diamond.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 8:55PM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

I'll just bet you go, and will somehow make room for those hot Ruellias!
Sunny

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 10:13PM
mosswitch

Haven't been out there yet this spring but it's on my list. Maybe tomorrow. Got a black petunia at Westwood Gardens in Rogers, yesterday. Truly black! Called Black Velvet. Love it! It's going to be striking in a pot with an applebloom pink one, euphorbia and pink variegated sweet potato vine.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 10:38PM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

If you all can stand One More Post on tall Mexican petunias -- when I was digging out the old petunia stubs to put new soil in the big container, there was growth coming up on 2 out of 3 planted last year. So that means they really are perinneals in Zone 7a winter!
Sunny

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 8:40AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Except that we didn't have winter this year. They may be perennials in a normal winter. Black and Blue salvia seems to be, but I'm just saying last winter was not a good test.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 4:38PM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Well,talk about a Party Pooper! lol I'm betting you, Helen, that if I am patient, the things will restart next Spring -- unless, of course, we have an ice age, which wouldn't surprise me -- nothing much does, about our weather--
Sunny

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 7:18PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Sorry to be a party popper; I do tend to be a worry wort. I bought a deciduous Azalea at Lowe's this evening. I wanted to buy one in bloom so I could smell it. The ones with buds a couple weeks ago were gone. This one doesn't look like it is going to bloom this year, but I took a chance anyway. I am trying not to buy too many plants because watering is not fun in July.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 9:57PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Sunny - Were your petunias up against your house? Those two that wintered over will be more established and MIGHT have a chance at getting through next winter too. It doesn't hurt to try.

Someone in another forum in zone 6 reported that their Tropical Milkweed returned. If I'd known we were going to have such a warm winter, I would have left mine in the ground and mulched it and my lantana as well. I tried keeping both of those in my basement and they died.

I don't think it ever got down into the single digits last winter here. That would be closer to zone 8 than 7. Not likely to happen again unless global warming is moving faster than they thought.

Sounds like you'd be happy with Purple Showers even if you have to grow it as an annual every year. I'm going to watch for it.

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 9:22AM
mosswitch

I planted my Mexian petunia with the native ruellias that I moved into my garden from the field out back. Be interesting to see how they compare and if they will hybridize. Guess I'll have to try and save seeds and see.

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 11:59AM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Christie, they were in a large planter on the north side and in front of a chain-link fence. However, the south side does receive sun all day.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 8:56AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Keep the pictures coming Sunny. I like that dark purple flower and dark stems.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 9:20AM
gldno1

Beautiful flowers. I have the native ruellia but I mow the ditches each year so I don't know how tall it would get if left alone.. The bloom looks the same only paler.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 10:01AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

That makes it even more surprising that they would survive the winter in a planter that has northern exposure. Wow!

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 6:12PM
beerhog(z7AR)

Here they take over everything. They spread by runners. Show up everywhere.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Merry Christmas!
I hope all my gardening friends have a wonderful Christmas....
gldno1
Swans
Saw these yesterday in the field behind ours and then...
christie_sw_mo
Fall Color l0 Days Ago (White now!)
Miscanthus by cellar: One of my very few remaining...
gldno1
A Sample of My Country-Style Gardening
This combo is all self-seeding annuals: Salvia farinacea;...
gldno1
Speaking of Gardens
Speaking of GardensToday's column in The Joplin Globe....
beadwitch
Sponsored Products
Campania International Petunia Garden Statue - A-473 - NATURAL
$89.99 | Hayneedle
Petunia Tiffany Table Lamps Lighting Fixture
ParrotUncle
Petunia Flower and Bee Box - MULTI COLORS
$275.00 | Horchow
Rug Market Kids Petunia Rug - Brown - 11752B
$100.00 | Hayneedle
Tiffany Style Petunias Floor Lamp with Stained Glass Shade
ParrotUncle