dividing or minimizing hydrangeas

seydouxJanuary 17, 2014

I am not sure if this photo gives the scale of these hydrangeas. By the end of the summer they are 6 ft tall and 10 ft deep. Can I transplant every other one or divide their roots to minimize their size. Even with hard pruning they are eating all most all of the front steps. I don't want to destroy them as they bloom all summer, but I need some way to control them

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mike Larkin

You dont mention what type of hydrangea.
If you have hydrangea paniculata ( big white to sometimes light pink flowers) you will always have a problem with size. And the best choice is to remove.
Hydrangea macrophylia ( big blue or pink to red flowers) most dont get that large, unless maybe you are fertilizing too much.

However whatever you have ---- it is too big! And needs to be constantly pruned to keep to the proper size.
I would select a plant that has a different color or texture. All the plants across the front look the same and the front foundation planting could use a little variety.

Either way, I would remove two plants on either side of front door, and plant a smaller shrub/conifers that does not over grow and crowd the front door.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: garden design ideas

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 9:20PM
More Discussions
Great full shade evergreen suggestions?
I currently have china boy holly to the left of my...
BloominOnion
Herb Shops in S.Central PA?
I seem to remember there being one along Rt. 81 an...
eibren
Cold hardy cacti
What are some types or perennial cacti that are hardy...
chel12vuk
Help with walkway plantings!
I've done so much research and am trying to figure...
BloominOnion
What kind of tree is this?
We bought a house recently and I would like to know...
Pittsburgh_Amy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™