Needing to fill as well as feed. What compost/topsoil ratio?

editornj(7 Coastal NJ)September 27, 2009

Hi, I don't want to go overboard with the compost, but my lawn (seed was started on tilled topsoil fall of 2008) needs some filling. The builder's sub did a horrible job of evening out the lawn. There are hills and valleys. Also, we have come across large rocks that were on the lawn's surface. When we removed these, we're left with craters.

1. Should I fill the craters with straight topsoil?

2. Eventually, we need to add about 4" of material to 50% of the lawn. (We're not going to do that this season.) Should that be 50/50 compost/topsoil?

Note (in case this changes the answer to question #2): We have drainage problems. They've been slightly improved with the new grading (the basement of previous house, which was knocked down, flooded constantly). Now we have several large puddles throughout the lawn when it rains.

I had a great time searching through old posts.

Many thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anubis_pa(z5 PA)

My understanding is the volume that is compost will eventually become negligible as it breaks down. I'm not sure how long that would take, but I'd think you need to overfill the low spots if you include much compost in the mix.

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 11:20PM
bpgreen(5UT)

A big part of the problem was probably the tilling. When a lawn is tilled, it often settles unevenly and you get a lot of bumps.

As Anubis said. compost will continue to break down, so if there's a lot of compost, you'll get further settling.

Compost would help with the drainage issue, but you'll need to reapply it (or some other organic amendment) on a regular basis to get the soil draining well.

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 11:48PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The proper way to fill in low spots in a lawn is to make a large X in the depression, roll back the sod, and fill in to just above the surrounding soil level (to allow for settling). For high spots you do the reverse, make that X, roll back the sod, and remove enough soil to get the sod level with the rest of the lawn.
If you simply put sand, topsoil, compost into the depression to raise it up you can cover the grass plants crown, where the growth comes from, and kill that. If you do not put down more that about 1/2 inch at any time and allow the grass to grow back it can take years to get the level up to where it should be.

Bookmark   September 28, 2009 at 7:53AM
More Discussions
Morpheuspa, need help with soil test from Logan Labs 2015
You come highly recommended by our mutual acquaintance...
ccigator
Planting Clover Stolons (or Any Stolons Really)
Has anyone ever tried to transplant clover or a stoloniferous...
CPTK
Keeping Grass Away from Downspout Extensions
Our downspouts go underground and then come up in the...
carol_the_dabbler
Best Organic Weed Control Ideas?
Hello, I am doing a project in which the objective...
tigger033
Thatch Problem?
I'll be having the lawn aerated next week and I was...
nickrosesn
Sponsored Products
Eliot Leather U-Sofa Sectional - Brighton Sunset Orange
Joybird Furniture
Three's a Charm Vase
| Dot & Bo
Waterproof Neutral White LED Neon, by the Meter
EnvironmentalLights.com
Earth Spirit Taupe 18-Inch Square Pillow
$43.99 | Bellacor
Oatmeal and Peridot Polyester Filled 18 x 18 Pillow
$60.00 | Bellacor