Compost

scape(6)September 12, 2007

Silly question: At home depot they sell scotts red & white bags labeled top soil. Is that considered good compost?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deerslayer(Z5 NE IL KBG)

No, even the stuff labeled "Compost" at HD and the other box stores isn't very good compost. The best place to buy compost is at a local nursery or garden center. Buy it in bulk. It's much less expensive that way.

-Deerslayer

Bookmark   September 13, 2007 at 12:37AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

I agree 100%. If you want compost and find it at a nursery, check the fragrance. It should smell very fresh. Also when you put a little in your hand, you should not see any tiny crystals of sand. Sometimes sand is used as a filler. If you see some, the cost should be considerably discounted.

What are you using it for?

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 12:52AM
scape(6)

I was going to use it as a top dressing over the lawn after seeding. My local nursery sells a compost/peat moss mixture. Is that any good?

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 12:00PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

The reason people use topdressing after seeding is because they are not aware of using a roller. The purpose of the topdressing is to ensure good seed-to-soil contact. If you roll the seed down with a water fillable roller, you get the same effect.

If you are still going to use topdressing, then any topdressing will work. You don't need much at all. Apply at a rate of 2.7 (or 3) cubic feet per 100 square feet.

Bookmark   September 15, 2007 at 1:21PM
More Discussions
Objective Proof for Organic vs. Non-organic?
I have always been in the camp of, "Feed the soil,...
chaoticut
Why not use herbicide to control Ground Ivy?
I have always practiced organic lawn care. I mow high...
tomp123
creeping charlie chump
OK, once and for all, is there an organic solution...
yardmartyr
Helping neglected lawn recover
Hi We bought our house last winter. It was a rental...
NVL4
Best Organic Weed Control Ideas?
Hello, I am doing a project in which the objective...
Tigger033
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™