Rust Treatment

jmcst25September 6, 2007

I have rust spreading throughout the yard (KBG / RYE mix). We've had a ton of rain - now high humidity. I've been using cracked corn & soy bean meal & and up to this past week - been mowing 2 - 3 times week.

I've read up the best treatment is fertilize and correct watering ( which I am fine with).

But I want to treat with a fungicide and wanted recommendations? I just applied milk at 3 oz - but wanted to know about repeating frequency or if I should try baking soda or something else.

I'm planning on dethatching and core aerating and fertilizing this weekend (Pittsburgh PA weather) - any concerns with rust?

Also - how do you apply backing soda through a hose end spraye (Ortho Dial and Spray).

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skoot_cat

But I want to treat with a fungicide and wanted recommendations?

Ordinary Cornmeal @ 20lbs per 1000sqft. It will take a few weeks to work.

I just applied milk at 3 oz - but wanted to know about repeating frequency or if I should try baking soda or something else.

You could use milk every 5-7 days until conditions improve.

Do not spray Baking Soda on the lawn, it could kill it.

Also, water only when 30-50% of the lawn shows signs of stress/wilting. Avoid watering at night. Keep mowing frequently and mow high. Rust usually doesn't reach damaging levels before the grass enters winter dormancy.

Bookmark   September 11, 2007 at 9:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

According to numerous messages to these forums, corn meal does not work on rust or red thread. Milk apparently does. Another organic solution is garlic juice strained from 2 pounds of garlic pureed with two quarts of water.

Baking soda is the universal fungicide. It should kill red or rusty anything quickly. Unfortunately, being universal, it is non selective and will kill your soil's beneficial fungi, too. There are some grassy plants that seem to rely on the health of surface fungi. Bermuda and St Augustine do not seem to be among those plants but crabgrass does seem to be in that number. Thus, there are some recipes on the market that use baking soda to kill crabgrass in southern lawns. But since baking soda is so hard on the soil microbes, if you used it and left it alone your turf could suffer due to the lack of microbial support. If you were to use baking soda, I would suggest letting it work for 2 weeks and then follow up with compost at the rate of 1 cubic yard per 1,000 square feet or with good compost tea at a rate of a gallon per 1,000 square feet.

Apply baking soda at a rate of 3 ounces per gallon. For a hose end sprayer you could dissolve it in water and concentrate it so the sprayer would dilute it in the mixer. I suddenly need to drive to the big city and can't afford the time it would take to calculate the concentration and dilution, but it isn't that hard (when you're not distracted). Good luck. Looking at the date on your original message you are probably seeing some improvement from the milk.

Bookmark   September 11, 2007 at 10:29AM
More Discussions
Using scotts weed and feed on organic lawn
Hi All, I have about 5000 sqft of lawn. Last 1.5 years...
gmanar
snow mold
As the snow melted this spring snow mold appeared on...
kimmq
Increasing height of celebration bermuda
Our lawn was sodded with bermuda celebration a bit...
trussin.22
Organic Lawn Care FAQ Cut Off?
The Organic Lawn Care FAQ seems to have gotten cut...
raymondo17
Basic Outline to Follow for Organic Lawn Care
I have made earlier post describing the problems I...
claga
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Larvik Papyrus 3' Round
$80.97 | Home Depot
Florentine King Sham with Silk Dupioni Sides - OYSTER
$310.00 | Horchow
Flight Night Wine Marquee
$129.99 | Dot & Bo
Broan-Nutone Hideaway Steel Body 16.25W x 21.5H in. Recessed Cabinet - 622
$127.33 | Hayneedle
10'x14' Antiqued Tabriz Hand Knotted Oriental Rug 100% Wool Rust Red Sh19580
1800 Get A Rug