Buff Beauty Rose

gldno1May 29, 2013

I thought I would share this with you before I loose it to RRD. It has two affected branches that I keep cutting back trying to save it. It is my all-time favorite rose. It smells heavenly. I have the best luck with hybrid musk class of roses....Albas too but they bloom for a shorter period of time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

The close up shows the beautiful color. I like the old fashioned full flower. My mother always spoke of cabbage roses that her grandmother had. What is RRD I think you mentioned it before. Years ago the dairy next place to mine had a rosa multiflora hedge and the birds spread it. They bull dozed the hedge a long time ago. Roses don't last long here because of the disease from the multiflora rose.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 9:54AM
gldno1

Helen, it is rose rosette disease. Multiflora rose does cause it since it is the host for the microscopic mite that transmits the disease. Once infected the shoots will be reddish purple and twisty and the flowers are complete malformed. I have to keep the pruners in a bucket of bleach water when pruning between bushes. I forgot last year and spread the disease to almost all of my roses! I hesitate to replace them.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 3:59PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I had an orange/buff rose once called Westerland. I liked it very much and wouldn't mind having it again. I also like Dortmond and Eutin. I may be misspelling those. They are roses I've had and lost but liked.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 6:31PM
gldno1

I had Westerland too but it didn't survive over the winter and drought. I might replace it and put it in a better place next time.
It is very fragrant too. Chamblee Roses in Texas has great prices and that is where these roses came from.

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 3:26PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I'll have to be on the lookout for RRD. I haven't had trouble with it yet.
Hope you don't loose your Buff Beauty. Is it possible for it to survive? It's loaded with flowers and very pretty.

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 7:19PM
More Discussions
Swans
Saw these yesterday in the field behind ours and then...
christie_sw_mo
Ozarkers locations
I think it is time to start a new thread on where we...
aniseb
Ozark Chinquapin(Chinkapin)
Anyone have this variety of Chestnut, Castanea pumila,...
razorback33
Sorted Garden Seeds
I finally did it and am very proud of myself. I even...
gldno1
Merry Christmas!
I hope all my gardening friends have a wonderful Christmas....
gldno1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™