What are your no-shows this year?

christie_sw_mo(Z6)May 14, 2013

Still no sign of my purple milkweed, nor the diahlias that I forgot to dig up that I was hoping would come back anyway since it was so mild.
There are a few things that I've been watching for that looked dead at the end of our horrible summer last year like my pink champagne currant. I was hoping it would surprise me but nope. Ditto for the peony that I planted from my aunt's yard.

Only one of my cardinal flowers came back out of four. Sorry hummingbirds. I tried.

I have been trying every year since the ice storm to get a big patch of woodland phlox going again and planted several little starts from divisons last summer but I think nearly every one of those died plus the mama plant that I took them from. grrr i found a couple little sprigs that lived but they'll be too small to divide this year.

The top is almost completely dead on my native hazelnut. I don't know if it was just the tough weather or if something else is going on.

On the upside - I planted a lot of gaillardia from seed last year and most of those have returned including all three of my Arizona Apricots. : )
My garden phlox came through really well too and this year I will know to watch for phlox bugs before they get out of hand like last year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Knowing my no shows would require that I remember all the stuff I planted.

Some or all of the butterfly bushes that I planted late and were sale plants are not shooting out. I have a Japanese maple that appears to be dead on top and shooting out half way down. I had one before that died. Those various colored new coneflowers don't seem to come back for me. That area has a few Echinacea shoots coming up but I think most of them died out. I had a double one another year that didn't last. Sometimes my coneflowers have funny flowers- distorted. I read they have a fatal disease, so I don't know if it is winter or what that gets them. Other no shows may come to me later. The grey headed coneflower and rudbeckia maxima are fine. Echinaceas are what I lose.

I still have your viburnum.
edit The dwarf pampas plume that I bought last year is dead. It was supposed to be hardy to zone 6 but maybe it needed to be established longer before winter. I really liked its look and got one for my neighbor. I hope hers lived because it was pay back for checking on the dogs.

This post was edited by helenh on Wed, May 15, 13 at 15:39

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 10:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gldno1

I have so many different plants it may take me a year to remember what all is gone. This I do know:

two dead rose of Sharon
The old apple tree out back
a peach tree in the garden
some mums
at least three roses
a peony is pinkish and curled?? disease?
so far no persicaria polymorpha
Most all my hostas

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 4:46PM
More Discussions
Fall Color l0 Days Ago (White now!)
Miscanthus by cellar: One of my very few remaining...
gldno1
New plantings
As you may (or may not) be aware, I moved to Springdale...
dbarron
my thoughts on peppers
I don't eat hot peppers but I have found that the horn...
helenh
Lavender from Seeds
I am just north of Springfield in Greene Co., Mo. ...
gldno1
Elderly gardeners
Dup post...didn't show up for me and I reposted...pls...
dbarron
Sponsored Products
Splendorest Down Alternative 220 Thread Count Cotton Pillows (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Mirrored Console Table
Cost Plus World Market
Organic Roots Rug
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Kira 2" x 3" Butterfly Frame - MULTI COLORS
$395.00 | Horchow
Lewiston Mailbox
Grandin Road
Chevron Print Room Divider - 85092R
$89.98 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™