Aerangis kirkii

mrbreeze(z6/7 OK)October 5, 2009

A little behind the others, eh? The fourth spike seemed to be stalled but started growing rapidly a few days ago. Not fast enough to get in the picture, sadly. Certainly one of my favorite Aerangis species.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xmpraedicta(3b Saskatoon)

SO BEAUTIFUL...and it looks like you have some more fans coming along behind!

Your leaves look quite green - mine are more bronze in color. How much light do you give yours? I need to pick your brain, since you're growing indoors like most of us poor greenhouse-less souls.

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 11:03PM
mrbreeze(z6/7 OK)

I'm envious of some of y'all whose plants have extra fans and basal growths. Mine is just one loooong growth that curves upwards, making it look like two or more. Same SBOE stock as most of us seem to have. Their plants must be hella prolific.

I would say mine gets minimal light. Certainly shade and perhaps deep shade. As you know, its hard to describe when dealing with fake light. It basically spends most of its time being about ten inches or more from the far ends of two strip lights. And I might add, i haven't changed the bulbs in probably two years. Been meaning to do that. So in reality it probably gets even less light than you would imagine from my description. (don't tell Howard)

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 12:31AM
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

Fascinating... Mine gets a fair amount of light. Like Calvin the leaves on mine have a bronze tinge to them. But you have better spikes. I got about 9 spikes, but maybe half of them developed far enough to bloom, and only about 2-3 flowers on each. I still got a nice display, but only because they decided to bloom at the same time. I do have more fans going than you do, maybe it's a tradeoff.

Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 3:53PM
bcfromfl(z8a NW FL)

Nice one! One thing I've noticed about the couple different SBOE plants I've seen posted here is that the blooms don't appear to be "the same". The petals on my plant are thinner than yours and others.

The more white, the better! ;-)

-Bruce

P.S. Mine is still going strong, and throwing out more spikes.

Bookmark   October 15, 2009 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Dendrobium banana royal
A primary cross of Den. canaliculatum and Den. Liholho....
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
Phrag Caudatum
These are usually multi floral, I only got one this...
James AKA lumpy_j
Photos of 2015 Yuxi cym show, Yunnan province, China
Link: more than 100 photos in my idea book some examples...
jujujojo_gw
Masdevallia hirtzii
Nice strong color, reliable bloomer. I grow it cold...
orchidnick
Paphepedelium Gold Dollar (primulin x armenianum)
Medium sized, color is not completely clean. Nick
orchidnick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™