How to Start Tub Pond?

chriswanderer90(7)February 28, 2013

Hi:

Does anyone know how to start a tub pond without any filtration, aeration gizmos?

I wonder where you get freshwater plants? Because I went to pet stores, and they don't seem to have any. Could you buy them online?

Stores also don't seem to carry Gambusia..

Thanks,
Chris Chung

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dee67

I don't know what zone your in, but what would you do with them in the winter? You can order plants online, but any local nursery should have them.Most carry water related stuff. The water garden thing is a whole 'nother addiction,LOL!

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 8:40AM
chriswanderer90(7)

Thanks for the reply dee67.

I might start a wildlife pond outside actually.. but I don't know how much I'd have to dig..

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 7:51PM
Dee67

Go over to the ponds & aquatics forum. Lot's to learn there.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 1:38AM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

I second the pond forum, but while you're here, I do tub ponds the easy way.

Cheap plastic tub or drainage free planter.... sometimes the tub can be spraypainted to get rid of any overly annoying bright color.... fill with water.... basically done.

Feeder guppies from the pet store or feeder goldfish (the guppies are more "expendable") will keep the mosquitos controlled. A good garden center or sometimes Lowes will have some pond plants, depending on the size of the tub, you can go with all sorts of water plants up to and including water lilies and lotus.

Last year I got a cheap solar powered fountain and put that in. I was extremely pleased with myself, but I'm not sure if it will last more than a year or two.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 9:08PM
Dee67

I do mainly fountains out of flower pots.I don't have to worry about mosquitos in there since the water constantly moves too fast for them to breed. But if you don't want to worry about dealing with fish for mosquitos just throw in some BT (mosquito bits or dunks sold @ Lowes or HD). It's natural. I use it in my birdbath.Doesn't hurt anything but the skeeters.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 12:24AM
bulldinkie(pa)

i had one Ihad a frog he use to sit onedge,fish would jump out.I now have a pretty big pond 8 shape.You have to dig down below frost line if fish stay in pond over winter.They also need a shallow end to sun.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
Vegetable planting dates guide for 5b
Does anyone have a link to a guide for vegetable planting...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Cold hardy cacti
What are some types or perennial cacti that are hardy...
chel12vuk
Great full shade evergreen suggestions?
I currently have china boy holly to the left of my...
BloominOnion
Garden Soil in N.E. Philadelphia
Wondering if anyone knows a landscaping/compost company...
Meister14
Planting a Fall Garden
Hey Everyone, I was looking through the old posting...
dwoodley2010
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™