Grass Seed Varieties

lulubalboaMarch 24, 2005

We are preparing to plant a new lawn. I would like to plant a tri rye seed but don't know what Brands to buy. The staff at the Lowes and Home Depot what to be helpful, but were not certain what I was looking for. Would you please give me some direction on what Brand Name of seed I should purchase. I really do not know one seed from another and need a little help

We have no tree on the property and the top soil is in decent shape. Last fall I patched a few areas and they came in well. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancycon(zone 5 W. PA)

You might be better off buying at your local Garden Center or Agway if you have one. When we owned a Garden Center/ Nursery business, we offered Penn State mix. Fescue, Periennel Rye & I think Kentucky Blue Grass. When one germinates it gives the others a foot hold to get started and each has attributes that the others don't. We always had 95% success. But you need to address your needs. Do you want turf grass for heavily used areas? Do you have sun or partial shade conditions? These are questions that a professional can answer, someone who actually seeds lawns for a living, and not someone who sells the product .

Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 11:26PM
lulubalboa

Thank you kindly. I did purchase my BT at our Agway. None of the "Home Centers" carry it or knew anything about it. Back to the Agway for our seed. The yard has little shade and is not heavily used.
Thanks again.

Bookmark   March 25, 2005 at 2:21PM
nancycon(zone 5 W. PA)

Great, I'm glad to help. Now you need to hope that the ground dries out enough to till it so you can seed it!!!!!

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 8:00PM
More Discussions
Great full shade evergreen suggestions?
I currently have china boy holly to the left of my...
BloominOnion
Success of Crape Myrtle in South Central PA
Was wondering if anyone had success in South Central...
Fern2002
Seedless Grapes
Has anyone has any success with seedless "table"...
nick_17815_pa
Gardenweb MidAtl Swap May 10
Hey southeast PAers who are close to the Maryland line,...
sujiwan_gw
Garden Soil in N.E. Philadelphia
Wondering if anyone knows a landscaping/compost company...
Meister14
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™