I know mushrooms are good but...

storey3(NH- Zone 5)October 23, 2007

My lawn and some of my beds are loaded with mushrooms. I put down SBM in August and Alfalfa pellets in September, my first grain applications. There are so many clusters of them that I can see them from my third floor attic. Are this many mushrooms still considered to be okay. Should we just mow over them or remove them? Please say mow over, LOL.

FWIW, We've never had any in this area of my lawn before this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Mow over them, but first note if any seem to be growing in a circle. Mushrooms growing in a circle frequently indicate a disease inside the circle.

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 12:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

A mushroom isn't an indication of a specific disease, though it may look that way for awhile. It's just a matter of the fungi doing so much decomposing that the grass may end up nitrogen starved for awhile. If you've ever had a fairy ring, you'll notice that the grass gets really DARK green first, as the decomposing is at its peak. The fungi then has to move out further to more fertile ground, leaving hungry grass behind. If any grass actually dies within that ring, it's usually because the fungus organism has been able to build up such a heavy (underground) mat of mycelium that water (etc.) can't penetrate any more.

Please know that the fungus is within the soil, out of sight and out of reach. The mushrooms are merely temporary fruiting bodies, appearing only to disseminate spores. Mowing them rather than raking them up could be like overseeding your lawn with mushroom spores! Unless you can get to them while they are still immature and the spores haven't developed.

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
Is It to Late in the to Apply Organic Fertilizers in Zone 5b
The condition of my lawn: The lawn is thick, but lacks...
claga
overseeding help !
Hi All, I have a 5000 sft lawn with tall fescue, in...
gmanar
Morpheuspa, need help with soil test from Logan Labs 2015
You come highly recommended by our mutual acquaintance...
ccigator
Objective Proof for Organic vs. Non-organic?
I have always been in the camp of, "Feed the soil,...
chaoticut
Helping neglected lawn recover
Hi We bought our house last winter. It was a rental...
NVL4
Sponsored Products
Gray Textured Silk 14" Wide Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Braided Area Rug: Jefferson Moss Green 3' x 5'
$99.97 | Home Depot
Personalized Pet Treats Jar - K
$125.00 | Horchow
Crosley Griffith 4 Piece Metal Outdoor Conversation Patio Seating Set
$279.00 | Hayneedle
Red Grant Office Chair
Cost Plus World Market
Forest Spirit Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Kaleen Rugs Kenwood Plum 2 ft. x 6 ft. Double Sided
$98.97 | Home Depot
Christopher Knight Home 31 x 13.75 Dia Sol Gold-finished Cast Aluminum Copper Su
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™