Help Calculating Fertilizer Program

buzzsaw8October 15, 2009

I've got a really small lawn 250 sqft and I'm trying to figure out a fertilizing program/schedule. Because money is tight, and I think the idea is kinda cool anyways, I plan on using urine. Lawn is TTTF.

So here's where I'm at so far, if there's any errors, suggestions, please let me know:

Fescue lawns require 4lbs of N per year @ 1000 sqft. Mine being 250 sqft would require 1lb/year.

I'm working under the assumption that urine is 10% N (I've read it's anywhere from 8% - 12%, so we'll go with the average of the two).

I'm also working under the assumption that urine weighs the same as water, roughly 16oz equals 1 lb.

So to get the required 1lb of N per year, I would need 10 x 16oz of urine, 160oz total.

160oz urine x .10 rate of N = 1lb N

Because urine is going to leach out of the soil quickly and I don't want to burn the lawn, I thought that 10 applications of 16oz of urine in a hose-end sprayer would be my best bet. I'd apply this monthly, except for July and August. I also mulch mow and put down compost in the Spring so that would cover the needed organic material.

Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpgreen(5UT)

"I'm working under the assumption that urine is 10% N (I've read it's anywhere from 8% - 12%, so we'll go with the average of the two). "

Where have you found this number? Since urea is 46% N, you're saying that urine is about 1/3 urea. That seems unlikely.

"I'm also working under the assumption that urine weighs the same as water, roughly 16oz equals 1 lb. "

Umm. 16 oz of anything is 1 lb. If you mean 16 fl oz, that's a different story. Metrics use water, so I converted 16 fl oz to ml (same as g) and converted that to lbs. 16 fl oz of water is still pretty close to 1 lb (1.04317556 lb). Urine is denser than water, so 16 fl oz of urine would probably be a little heavier still.

If your assumptions on the nitrogen content of urine are correct, your calculations of amount of urine to use are probably close, but not quite right. But I am very doubtful that urine is 10% N.

Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 2:10AM
skoot_cat

For a 250sqft lawn Go out and buy a 50lb bag of SBM for less than $20.00 and that should last you 2 years if you apply it @ 5-lbs per 250sqft.

You can get coffee grounds for free at Starsucks.

Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 10:21AM
anubis_pa(z5 PA)

Wikipedia has urine as 95%, the remainder having urea as a part of it, so 10% may even be high if that's accurate info. I looked it up because my first thought was more that there's got to be a lot of variability in that percentage anyway.

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 12:00AM
buzzsaw8

Thanks for the replies guys, I bought some SBM and will be using that along with twice yearly compost dressing

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 9:52PM
featherhoof(zone 9)

Why not a compost tea?

Bookmark   November 8, 2009 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Best Organic Weed Control Ideas?
Hello, I am doing a project in which the objective...
Tigger033
Increasing height of celebration bermuda
Our lawn was sodded with bermuda celebration a bit...
trussin.22
Timothy vs Alfalfa
I mistakenly applied Timothy pellets to my lawn instead...
rachel67
Objective Proof for Organic vs. Non-organic?
I have always been in the camp of, "Feed the soil,...
chaoticut
overseeding help !
Hi All, I have a 5000 sft lawn with tall fescue, in...
gmanar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™