Huge Mushrooms In My Lawn

humbled_by_gardening(4b/3a)October 28, 2008

Hello all just thought I would ask a question about mushrooms in my lawn. Like Clockwork I get huge mushrooms growing in my lawn every early September. I was wondering if I should pull them or just let them be as the die off around a month. I was wondering if there is something wrong with my lawn that would cause this. I called a landscaper and they said that my lawn was rich in organic matter.

Also I have not yet started to go organic on my lawn I am planning on starting this spring. I have other questions but I am mostly courious about the mushrooms.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
billhill(z5 MI - KBG)

Mushrooms in your lawn are indeed a sign of a healthy soil. They are the fruiting bodies of fungus living on organic matter in the soil. They ordinarily do no harm to the lawn unless they form a ferry ring. If you find them unsightly, just mow or kick them over. Or you could get your seven iron out and practice your swing if you are a golfer. Spring is a great time to transition into organic lawn care. You may wish to use some pre-M and chemically spot treat for weeds the first year after which there should be no need for chemicals and your lawn will be better than ever. You have found the best place to ask your lawn and garden questions. Do not hesitate. You may also want to checkout the organic lawn care forum.
Bill Hill

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Lawncare FAQ

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 6:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dave11

I believe mushrooms are the most misunderstood aspect of lawn care. As mentioned, they are usually a sign of healthy soil, which is why so often you find them growing in the earthy forest floor. Yet so many folks think of them as some sort of weed that somehow spread into their yard and needs to be eradicated.

There's a layer of fungus growing naturally in your healthy yard, and from time to time it sends up a sort of "fruit" which we know as a mushroom.

I ignore mine. They don't harm the grass, and neither ignoring them nor kicking them over will make them spread.

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 11:02PM
More Discussions
Best Organic Weed Control Ideas?
Hello, I am doing a project in which the objective...
tigger033
Where do you buy your Tall Fescue seed?
I'm in Sacramento and looking to overseed our tall...
oberci
snow mold
As the snow melted this spring snow mold appeared on...
kimmq
Increasing height of celebration bermuda
Our lawn was sodded with bermuda celebration a bit...
trussin.22
Cornmeal for Brown Patch Disease Works
Hi, I just wanted to share that I had Brown Patch Disease...
bettyfb
Sponsored Products
George Kovacs 31 1/2" Wide LED Island Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting
Bellagio Storm Blue 84-Inch Blackout Grommet Window Curtain Panel
$21.95 | Bellacor
Tavari Brushed Steel Five Light Arc Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Accent Rug: Montfort Tan 2' x 3'
$51.00 | Home Depot
Justice Design Group GLA-8781 - Sonoma 1 Light Wall Sconce (Short) - Bowl with R
$198.00 | Hayneedle
Thermod Contessa Planter Box Bench
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™